Please Help a New Guy Looking for a Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Please Help a New Guy Looking for a Grand Cherokee

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-14-2003, 10:28 PM   #1
RubiConvict

Please Help a New Guy Looking for a Grand Cherokee

Yep, I just joined the forum although I've been lurking for some time. I've also been searching for a Cherokee for quite a while, and I've found one here in town that looks promising.

My questions:
It is a '99. This makes it a WJ, right?

It is equipped with quadratrac (sp). This is basically an all-time, all-wheel drive thing, right? And it means the vehicle has the V8 motor, correct?

What type of fuel mileage could I expect in town and on the highway?

In additon, the Jeep has the towing package. What all is included with this option? Would this vehicle be stout enough to pull my other car ('89 Corvette, probably 4000LBS including car and tools) down the highway comfortably?

I appreciate any help guys, and I look forward to learning lots here on the forum.

Unread 09-14-2003, 10:30 PM   #2
crash98

I'm selling mine its a 97' http//:members.cardomain.com/crash98
crash98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2003, 10:41 PM   #3
RubiConvict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash98
I'm selling mine its a 97' http//:members.cardomain.com/crash98
I can't get your link to work. I'm not really searching for other Jeeps either, there are plenty around here for sale. Just wanting to learn more so I know which might be best for me.
RubiConvict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2003, 01:28 AM   #4
ninjit
1999 WJ 

Sounds like you found a 99 GC limited.
I don't think i've ever seen a laredo with a V8 and quadradrive.
Oops. never mind, you said quadraTRAC - not drive.

However I don't think you can assume it's a V8 just because it has quadratrac.
I think any of the transfer systems are available with any of the engines, though some kind of 4x4 system is usually standard on a v8 (not the other way round).

Do you know if it's quadratrac 1 or 2? I think 1 doesnt have a low drive stepping.

look at the jeep website for more info on the different 4x4 systems.
www.jeep.com
They have a pretty good section describing all the drive systems and what they're suitable for.

I'd imagine you'd want to have a v8 if you intend on towing frequenty, I have a I6 on mine, but I've never halled any significant weight so I wouldn't be able to comment on its towing performance.

-Jit
ninjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2003, 07:23 AM   #5
techie

Be VERY cautious of 99's. Check around on the internet and you will find many complaints from people with 99's that had to have transmission/differential components replaced more than once before they even hit 15K.

The 99's were apparently a very bad drivetrain year for the GC in the research that I had done on them a couple years ago before I ended up buying my 98. I would've went to a 2000 at the time, but that was a little to steep for my pockets, so I went down to the 98.

I would just look very closely at this one if you really want it.
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2003, 08:32 AM   #6
RubiConvict

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie

The 99's were apparently a very bad drivetrain year for the GC in the research that I had done on them a couple years ago before I ended up buying my 98. I would've went to a 2000 at the time, but that was a little to steep for my pockets, so I went down to the 98.
I've often heard that the first year of a new model run should sometimes be avoided. How different is a '99 from a '98? Were all of the driveline compenents completely new and different for '99?

This particular Jeep is a one owner GC bought and driven by an older man that lived about 35 miles from where he worked. It has 102,xxx miles- mostly on the highway. I think if there were major problems, they would have shown up by now. Any other thoughts?

EDIT: It is equipped with Quadra Trac II

Last edited by RubiConvict; 09-15-2003 at 10:52 AM..
RubiConvict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2003, 04:08 PM   #7
crash98

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiConvict
I can't get your link to work. I'm not really searching for other Jeeps either, there are plenty around here for sale. Just wanting to learn more so I know which might be best for me.
try http://www.cardomain.com/profile/crash98 then click the link sorry.
crash98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2003, 06:03 PM   #8
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

I've got a 99 GC (spec's listed below) I have the towing package, and that means it has the coolers on the tranny and where ever else to keep the temp from getting to high when under stress. I haul a 20' boat to the lake and back and once to Canada. With the V8 you hardly even know it's back there. BTW if it's a V8 it will say it on the rear tailgate, unless it's been wrecked and/or repainted.

As I said before in another post, I had a 98 GC with 4.0 and ended up trading it in on this one because it just wasn't enough umph for my taste. So if you haven't bought yet, definately go with the V8, you won't regret it!

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.