PLEASE Help me get rid of this Belt Squeak!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > PLEASE Help me get rid of this Belt Squeak!!!!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
silent35
1997 ZJ 

PLEASE Help me get rid of this Belt Squeak!!!!

Anyone else have a problem like this? I've had enough with my belt squeaking, so I decided to buy a new one. went to Autozone, and they gave me a Dayco belt (Which they told me is owned by gates???) So i figured it would make the squeaking go away. Strange enough, the belt I took of to replace with the new Dayco one had a ford stamp on it???? ( dont know what that was about, was from the previous owner) And was about 2 inches LONGER then the new Dayco belt ( Again ???????? ). thought that was a little odd... so it was a little harder getting the new one on there as it was much tighter. So, the squeak went away for about 2 weeks, figured it fixed the problem. Then, the squeak comes back, I figured it was my tension-er pulley, so i replaced that, squeak goes away, comes back a week later. So, I replace my Idler pulley, squeak still stays. Now, i was messing around one day, lubing random things with PB blaster, then I "accidentally" (Not really) got some PB blaster on the underside of the belt, AND THE SQUEAK disappeared immediately!! What the hell??? So, I went to the store and bought a few cans of CRC belt conditioner, and as soon as i throw it underneath the belt, the squeak goes away. Is this my belt??? Should i go with a real gates belt? Or maybe a Goodyear Gatorback belt? Does it just not like certain belts? I really want this squeak to go away, I've spent way to much money on as it is. Could use some help.

Things I've replaced:
1.Tensioner Pulley
2. Belt
3. Idler Pulley
Things I havent replaced and considering too:
1.Power stearing Pulley/pump
2.Water Pump/Pulley
3.Harmonic Balancer
4. A/C Compressor

I have a 5.2 v8 Limited Grand Cherokee if that helps

silent35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

Since you have ruled out the belt and two pulleys the next thing I would do is check the alignment of the other pulleys. Also with the belt off check for any play in any pulleys. Play = bad.

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I have had belt squeak and chirping issues for like a year + on and off on my 5.9.. I replaced everything, my idler pully (went bad anyway) my waterpump (went bad anyway as well) and still was going through belts every month.. Then I replaced my powersteering pump and pully because my old pump was leaking like a faucet, had a broken bracket on it, cracked pully ect.. I put the pully on myself but i didnt see if it was aligned with the a/c compressor. So in 2 weeks i went through another belt.. and then replaced my tensioner because my old tensioner if i pull it back to release the belt would stick there unless i tapped it and it would fling back.. so that thing wasnt 100%.. 1 week later another bad belt except this one and the last one were like shreded.. I had rubber dust like eraser dust all over my engine.. The belts were always glazed shiny in the ribs as well...

Was told to check my power steering pully alignment with a carpenters level against the a/c compressor pully.. Turns out my pully was like 3 mm or half a cm pushed in too far.. So pulled it out and made sure it was ligned up 100% and put my belt back on (which was only 4 days old and chirping already and starting to get glazed) and now i havent had any chrirping noises in 3 days.. We'll see what happens in a couple weeks and month ect..

I know i replaced a lot of stuff but it was already bad anyway and needed replaced.. But i still dont understand why my belts were going bad even before i replaced my old pump ect.. I did notice my old pump was replaced at one time by previous owner so it could have been that pully was missaligned as well.. Im not sure. So get something straight and hard and put it flat against your A/C pully long enough to be flat on both side of that pully and be able to reach your power steering and see if its pushed in too far or out..
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
lvlh3d

check alignment for sure.
mine was too loose, when righted up squeak stopped, 3 days later power steering popped a bearing, quick power steering replacement, happy to report no issues,
except a little hum in the new PS pump, idk
lvlh3d is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.