Please Help!!! I need a 46rh rebuilt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Please Help!!! I need a 46rh rebuilt

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
bearfighter13
1993 ZJ 

Please Help!!! I need a 46rh rebuilt

Hi everyone I'm a newbie here. I drove home and my car pooped out. It starts up great and idles like honey. When it get put into gear, it lurched into that position and stalls. The local trans shop quoted me $2650 for a full rebuild.

My Jeep is a 1993 Grand Wagoneer ZJ with a 5.2L and 4 speed automatic 46rh transmission.

Is there anyone near the DC metro area I can buy one form. Or, I'm willing to pay whoever would be willing to help me replace rebuild it. I am a college student and money is crazy tight.

Thank you in advance for any help.

bearfighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Buy yourself an ATSG manual, master rebuild kit and a new torque convertor. Automatics are pretty simple to rebuild if you take your time and deal with one assembly at a time.

The way I prefer to do them is to pull the assemblies out and stack them up on the table (hole drilled in the table for the input shaft to pass through)

Then clean up the case and rebuild one section at a time installing it back in the case as you complete it.

Don't know why so many folks are scared of automatics, I think manuals are a bigger pain to rebuild.
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
ZJandI
1997 ZJ 

When mine finally dies I may try to rebuild it, transmission work does intimidate me though...
ZJandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
bearfighter13
1993 ZJ 

Do you know any good rebuild kits? Most I've seen are just seals (soft parts)....
Unread 02-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfighter13 View Post
Do you know any good rebuild kits? Most I've seen are just seals (soft parts)....
One example. If you just google for 46RH Master rebuild kit you will find dozens of places.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/at...iew/make/dodge

In addition to what is in this kit, you would need the bands and Torque convertor.
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

It sounds like your torque converter is staying locked all the time.

Mine was doing a similar thing and ended up being a piece of debris in the valve body, preventing one of the slides from moving. But it could also be a broken converter or something else inside the trans.

Rebuilding an automatic transmission is definitely an intermediate level task, and it's not very clear if you're an intermediate or beginner mechanic. Auto trans work requires a high level of commitment, especially if you screw up and it has to come out twice.

There are crate rebuild transmissions available around the web that are closer to $500 plus converter, and those can be installed by a regular old mechanic shop, not a specialty trans shop.

There's also used transmissions from salvage yards, which usually come with a 1 year guarantee.

good luck!
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
bearfighter13
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
It sounds like your torque converter is staying locked all the time.

Mine was doing a similar thing and ended up being a piece of debris in the valve body, preventing one of the slides from moving. But it could also be a broken converter or something else inside the trans.

Rebuilding an automatic transmission is definitely an intermediate level task, and it's not very clear if you're an intermediate or beginner mechanic. Auto trans work requires a high level of commitment, especially if you screw up and it has to come out twice.

There are crate rebuild transmissions available around the web that are closer to $500 plus converter, and those can be installed by a regular old mechanic shop, not a specialty trans shop.

There's also used transmissions from salvage yards, which usually come with a 1 year guarantee.

good luck!

The shop definitely said that the torque converter was locked up. My fluid was black too. :-(

Is there anyone in the DC area that could help me rebuild/ put a rebuilt one in?
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
bearfighter13
1993 ZJ 

Also, I am a beginner when it comes to transmission work.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.