please help... hydro-lock?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > please help... hydro-lock??

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 05-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
jasarge
1998 ZJ 

please help... hydro-lock??

I have a 98 Zj 3" lift on 31 MT.. I took it nose first into a water hole that was to deep.. 4.0 shut down instantly and will not turn over it has been drying out for 3 days not. All I get when I turn the key is a loud click from starter. Starter is new (after I got it out of the hole) when I open the throttle body flap I can see a nice puddle of water inside the intake.. can someone please help ill attack a photo of the hole.. smh

Unread 05-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
a70eliminator

You'll have to pull the plugs and to get the water out of the cylinders. It happens to I/O boat engines alot when the flapper goes bad, bel;ieve me you want that water out ASAP pull the plugs crank the starter and it will expell the water, then reinstall and start the engine warm it up then change the oil.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
jasarge
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a70eliminator View Post
You'll have to pull the plugs and to get the water out of the cylinders. It happens to I/O boat engines alot when the flapper goes bad, bel;ieve me you want that water out ASAP pull the plugs crank the starter and it will expell the water, then reinstall and start the engine warm it up then change the oil.
Turn motor over by hand is the only way.. when I hit the key it feels like its locked up..
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Won't turn over even with the plugs out? You should just have to pull the plugs and crank it to get the water out of the cylinders. Try to turn it over by hand with the plugs out.

Once the water is out, change the oil a couple times till it is completely water free.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
jasarge
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
Won't turn over even with the plugs out? You should just have to pull the plugs and crank it to get the water out of the cylinders. Try to turn it over by hand with the plugs out.

Once the water is out, change the oil a couple times till it is completely water free.
In the process of pulling plugs now.. thx for all the help.. ill keep u posted guys :highfive
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

sure hope you didn't bend anthything. a full hydrolock like that almost always breaks a connecting rod or valves.

IF you are lucky and it will spin free after you get the plugs out. you need to change every fluid in the vehicle. change the oil a few times, FLUSH the transmission as soon as you can. any water in there, even just sitting, will destroy it in short order, and change axle and t-case fluids.

always test the puddle before diving in.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.