PLEASE HELP FAST! Alternator problem??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > PLEASE HELP FAST! Alternator problem???

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 03-15-2002, 10:30 PM   #1
jdwiseman

PLEASE HELP FAST! Alternator problem???

Okay. Over the last 3 days I have been slowly installing a new alarm/remote start. Every time I do ANYTHING, a new problem suddenly arises that may or may not have to do with what I was working on. I suspect this does not, but all opinions are completely welcome.

I noticed the day before yesterday that my instrument lights, and headlights fluctuated when I revved the engine. This reminded me of my old 66 Mustang which had some electrical...oddities. Right before I bought the 94 ZJ 5.2 (about a month ago), the guy put a new battery in. I am tempted to call him and simply ask if he has had similar problems.

[B]TO THE POINT:
While working on my alarm, and while having had all the doors open and the brakelight switch unwittingly activated, the battery drained completely. So I had the car jumped and let it run for awhile. The battery guage did not raise to the halfway point it was at a few days ago. So I too the vehicle for a trip to the gas station, not only because it needed gas, but because I thought driving it would charge the battery better.

At the gas station, when I tried to start the car again, it did not want to stay running. I had to keep my foot on the gas, otherwise the tachometer would drop quickly past .5 and the vehicle would die. I eventually had to keep my foot on the gast and shift into drive. By the time I got home (about a mile), I could take my foot off the gas without it dying. However the battery guage still showed at 1/4 or less.

It SOUNDS like an alternator problem. But since I installed this remote start/alarm (a remote start which I have not tested successfully, I am worried it was something I did.

So, I have taken the fuses out of the two alarm wires that I connected to where the battery cable meets the Distribution Center, and will see how it is doing tomorrow. I really don't think this will help though.

Any thoughts? Any!?!?

Thanks!

John

jdwiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2002, 11:01 PM   #2
Humberto Benavides

To me sounds like the battery is almost going to die soon ! Replace the battery and go for a free alternator check at any Autozone or Napa Auto Parts Store ! Mine had the same symptom weeks ago and the problem went away when I installed a new battery !

Hope this helps !!!
[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Tahoma]'03 Jeep Wrangler X Auto I6 4.0L, 3.5" RE Super Flex, 1" PA BL, M.O.R.E. 1" MML, 33x12.5x15 MT/R's, JKS Quick Discos, RE Front Adjustable Trackbar, Skyjacker Hydro7000 Shocks, OEM RUBICON Rocker Guards, WARN Steering Skidplate, Front Mopar Tow Hooks, Bushwacker 6" Extended Fender Flares, K&N drop-in air filter, Chicago Electric Winch, SS light bar with 4 Hella 500 Driving Lights, and stock no more ![/COLOR] [COLOR=Red][URL=http://www.teamlaredo4x4.com]Visit TeamLaredo4x4.com[/URL] [/COLOR][/FONT]
OOOO
[ŻŻŻŻ]
o||||o
▒-o-▒
Humberto Benavides is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.