Plastic Oxidation....Any solutions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Plastic Oxidation....Any solutions?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
jnnym21
1998 ZJ 

Plastic Oxidation....Any solutions?

I have the 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo and it has the plastic on the doors and the rear and bumper. Problem is, it's extremely oxidized and looks bad. Yes armor all works but it washes off with the rain. Anyone have any thing that they found works better ?

jnnym21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
EisBlade
1999 WJ 

Yeah, I know what you mean. That bumper renew paint doesn't last either, I tried it. I opted to coat mine with that spray-on truckbed liner. I pulled everything off, sanded down ever inch of each panel good, sprayed on adhesive promoter, then followed up with several coats of that liner spray found in Autozone. I did the front bumper about a year ago and liked how it held up (no chipping dings, or anything) so decided to do the rest. I pulled off and finished the rear bumper 3 months ago, and am finishing up the side panels sometime tomorrow or Monday. That's keeping it on the cheap side.

An alternative would be to find a RhinoLiner or similar shop and have them coat them. Talk about durable. It also helps reduce wind noise from the wind hitting the bumpers.
The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

The sun evidentially destroys all man made items especially plastic (including the plastic head light lens)

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

just do what everyone else on here believes....mud...keep it covered in mud.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
jnnym21
1998 ZJ 

haha yeahh I think that would look best.
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
DTrem08
1996 ZJ 

Linseed oil and paint thinner, which I found when I searched!

Worked for me, but if you get it on your paint and get it dusty/dirty, have fun getting the crap off there...gotta scrub real hard. I think I'm going to try mine again in the spring (did it last spring as well) but wash it, apply it, wash it, then get it dirty!
**KOR Radiator Support, IRO 3.5" lift, 31/10.5/15" Maxxis Bighorns on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's, JKS Bar Pin Eliminators, KOR Light Bar, 4 Black KC HiLites, Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown/no tailpipe, OME Steering Stabilizer, Black KOR square rock sliders
**If youve seen it around CT or know about it, PM me
DTrem08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
jnnym21
1998 ZJ 

50/50 Boiled Linseed oil and Paint thinner did it, that has to be the best solution ever for it. Did mine yesterday and wow looks brand new....pics will come.
Unread 01-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #8
colinzj
2006 WK 

I've had good luck with Meguiar's All Season Dressing. It's not a permanent fix, but it's worked far better for me than Back to Back or any of that other crap, and lasts for months at a time.

Haven't tried the linseed oil. I have visions of my cladding spontaneously combusting.
colinzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
EisBlade
1999 WJ 

Check out the two pics on my Gallery. Saturday I finished my project of painting the gray bumpers and lower panels with black spray-on truck bed liner. I'm pleased with how these turned out. Being the best test case, I did the front bumper first about 1 year ago. There are no chips or flaking and the color has held up very well.

Unread 01-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
K-Pax

that spray-on truck bed liner looks nice. does it yield a smooth finish?

Kevin's rig:
94 Grand Cherokee Laredo
I-6 4.0L, Quadra-Trac on demand

2" budget lift
pro-comp steelies
kevin's radiator support bar
JKS quick discos
e-mail me
K-Pax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
3_high_low

I'd give wet sanding a try.
3_high_low is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #12
MAO
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnym21
50/50 Boiled Linseed oil and Paint thinner did it, that has to be the best solution ever for it. Did mine yesterday and wow looks brand new....pics will come.
I have seen this several times on the forum, but there is never any long term results listed. Most everything looks nice as you apply it. Has everyone that tried this spontaneously combusted?

People have suggested Back to Black. Don't waste your time, it washes off after 3 rains, instead of 1(ArmorAll).

I have tried using a hair dryer. Not much luck. Maybe you have to do it in the summer in order for the plastic to get hot enough.

I am trying 303 Aerospace Protectant. Best results so far, but still looks like it is going to wash off. It has survived 3 rains/snows, but I do see a little fading.
MAO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 02:27 AM   #13
EisBlade
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Pax
that spray-on truck bed liner looks nice. does it yield a smooth finish?
Most fluids won't last long. They only cover short term.

It's not smooth like enamel or brake/engine paint, this stuff is textured already; it comes out of the can that way. Think of the texture of the paint on the inside of a car trunk.

Unread 01-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #14
x saturn x3

do you mean the black plastic bumpers? Without paint? If so, peanut butter! The oils in the peanut butter removes waxes, and it "treats" the plastic. Wash the parts off with soap and water afterwards and it'll look good as new.

Or try Forever Black dye. Or Back to Black by mother's.
x saturn x3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #15
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x saturn x3
do you mean the black plastic bumpers? Without paint? If so, peanut butter! The oils in the peanut butter removes waxes, and it "treats" the plastic. Wash the parts off with soap and water afterwards and it'll look good as new.

Or try Forever Black dye. Or Back to Black by mother's.
Yes the none painted bumpers and side clading.

None of these work! It actuaslly works but only for a couple of days. By the following weekend you are back to square one. Using old used motor oil is just as good as any product sold!!!

The products out there make new plastic shine, but this thread is talking about sun damaged plastic. This is completely different. Once the color fades it is faded forever.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.