The plastic Mode Door broke in my 1996 ZJ heater, are there steel doors?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The plastic Mode Door broke in my 1996 ZJ heater, are there steel doors??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

The plastic Mode Door broke in my 1996 ZJ heater, are there steel doors??

The bottom of the plastic "Mode Door" (to control from which ports the heater/AC air exits the dash) has a D-shape cast into it, and that's where mine broke off. Yes, the entire dash and HVAC assembly are now out of the ZJ! :P Not actually a bad job so far, in that all fasteners and plugs are easy to get at. But there sure are a lot of them!! See item 8 in this pic:

Now, rather than toss in another 15 year old plastic door from the JY, I wonder if the 1997 or 1998 Mode Door axles might have been upgraded to steel? The Temperature blend door (item 11 in the pic above) is all steel... maybe I could adapt one of them.. ???

Or, apparently RAM trucks from 1997-2002 use the same HVAC assembly!! Any chance someone here knows if the RAMs might have had steel Mode Doors?

Good thing the steering lock is still on!! [lmao]

StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

I understand you not wanting plastic,but if you buy a new plastic door,wont you be good for another 15 years or so?
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

I hear what you're saying, and you're right! But at least on the website I pulled that pic from, the door is no longer available, so... time for something else.
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Well that sucks,good luck
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

I called a local dealer and the doors are still available, but they are still plastic, and they are $77 plus taxes - wow. I'll be fabbing something up next week, methinks.
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
igaug
1998 ZJ 

that looks like a chore!
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
mrclark25
1994 ZJ 

can we get an update?

my mode door broke as well, and i want to know if i'm stuck paying $60 after shipping to get it off of factorychryslerparts.com (is this website creditable?)

link to the part:
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/.../04778420.html
mrclark25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Sure! I repaired the door and it's working fine. I still can't figure out what wrecked it?? But here's what I did:

1. Clamped a piece of wood to a drill press and drilled a hole in the wood that was a tight fit for the axle.
2. Poked the axle and the broken bit into the hole from below, and that held the axle so that it was perfectly concentric with the spindle on the drill press.
3. Drilled a hole through the centre of the axle and the broken bit, then tapped the hole for a #6 x 32 machine screw.
4. Removed the door from the wood on the drill press, then slathered it and the machine screw with epoxy and assembled it. Once the screw was tight, I wiped off excess epoxy on the outside and let is sit overnight.

So far, no problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.