Plasti-dipped zj! Now what color for top coats? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Plasti-dipped zj! Now what color for top coats?

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
lawsonej
1998 ZJ 

Plasti-dipped zj! Now what color for top coats?

Spent some time last week plasti dipping my zj. Have black coats applied and im thinking about doing the last layer a certain color.. have considered od green, tan, blue and some others. open for suggestions/pictures on what others have tried. This is a fun project, but remember i have to drive this around town and eventually get the title color changed if i like something. Ill probably apply a glossifier later. Mind you that the color/plastidip is only going to be applied above the cladding. cladding will remain black/grey. I included a pic of a tan and green xj on here that google provided. the last was a joke. what plasti dip "blaze blue" would look like. or a cartoon zj what would look like lol

aviary-photo_130208681747578613.jpg   aviary-photo_130208687901199992.jpg  
matte-satin-xjs-jeepforum_com.jpg

redid-bumpers-some-black-rustoleum-flat-.jpg

picture1.png

lawsonej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

I don't think I would go as far as changing the color on the title. Plasti Dip is not really meant to be left exposed to the elements for more then a couple years before redoing it. The aluminum trim on my S4's front grill is currently plasti dipped black and has been for about a year and half and now needs to be done again.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
lawsonej
1998 ZJ 

Thats true, dont know where the legal part of it stands on how long you can drive a vehicle after the color is changed...as long as it doesnt cause any issues i dont care. ive had black plasti dip hold up pretty good the last couple years on another pair of black wheels for another car. but im hoping painting it and glossing it with a sealer would help the integrity a little
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

don't paint it green. thats boring. every ZJ is green.

do something cool. yellow, orange, pink. maybe magenta. or aqua/teal.

i'd rock that
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
every ZJ is green.
I have a red zj
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
I have a red zj
Me dos

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
I don't think I would go as far as changing the color on the title.
This.

No law I have ever heard of requires your paint to match whats on your title, if there is and someone can can prove it then I'll stand corrected. I do know a few people who have had custom paint jobs and been pulled over after the popo runs the plate, usually with no problem. Be warned tho, if you have super cops in your area they'll use it as a reason to pull you over, detain you and search you and your rig.... "stolen car" excuse and all.
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
Shanebear
1994 ZJ 

How many cans would you say you used to do it?
Shanebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
lawsonej
1998 ZJ 

I ended up using about 5 cans for a pretty thick coat. Mind you thats just for the half above the cladding. id add another can or can and a half to make it perfect the way i want.
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
This.

No law I have ever heard of requires your paint to match whats on your title, if there is and someone can can prove it then I'll stand corrected. I do know a few people who have had custom paint jobs and been pulled over after the popo runs the plate, usually with no problem. Be warned tho, if you have super cops in your area they'll use it as a reason to pull you over, detain you and search you and your rig.... "stolen car" excuse and all.
I almost did when I titled mine and was repainting it. Then I realized it was still green.... LOL
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Clearcoat it after you get the color you want
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
Clearcoat it after you get the color you want
if you do this then the dip will be a PITA to take off. can you yes but it will be painstakingly slow.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
RNMedic

law in Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
This.

Unread 08-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMedic View Post
law in Ohio
Only thing I could find on OBMV website was this;

What if the color of my vehicle changes?

Should you need to change the color of their vehicle (for example, if the automobile was painted a new shade), it can be changed during the next transaction at the Deputy Registrar (the Deputy Registrar cannot change the color unless an actual transaction is performed). Or, you may call 1-800-589-TAGS (1-800-589-8247) to have the change made. To view the color chart, click here.

How do I update my vehicle color on my registration?

You will be asked to provide a vehicle color at the Deputy Registrar at first issuance or renewal. You can also update the color online at www.oplates.com at renewal. Or, you can call 1-800-589-TAGS. Vehicle color will not be captured through the mail-in renewal process.

Will my vehicle registration reflect my vehicle color?

No, vehicle color information will only be maintained on the BMV's database.
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #15
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonej View Post
Spent some time last week plasti dipping my zj. Have black coats applied and im thinking about doing the last layer a certain color.. have considered od green, tan, blue and some others. open for suggestions/pictures on what others have tried. This is a fun project, but remember i have to drive this around town and eventually get the title color changed if i like something. Ill probably apply a glossifier later. Mind you that the color/plastidip is only going to be applied above the cladding. cladding will remain black/grey. I included a pic of a tan and green xj on here that google provided. the last was a joke. what plasti dip "blaze blue" would look like. or a cartoon zj what would look like lol
What kind of headlights do you have?

Out doing Jeep things..

Sent from my Nexus S using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.