JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Plasti-dipped zj! Now what color for top coats? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/plasti-dipped-zj-now-what-color-top-coats-1561647/)

lawsonej 08-13-2013 06:19 AM

Plasti-dipped zj! Now what color for top coats?
 
5 Attachment(s)
Spent some time last week plasti dipping my zj. Have black coats applied and im thinking about doing the last layer a certain color.. have considered od green, tan, blue and some others. open for suggestions/pictures on what others have tried. This is a fun project, but remember i have to drive this around town and eventually get the title color changed if i like something. Ill probably apply a glossifier later. Mind you that the color/plastidip is only going to be applied above the cladding. cladding will remain black/grey. I included a pic of a tan and green xj on here that google provided. the last was a joke. what plasti dip "blaze blue" would look like. or a cartoon zj what would look like lol :D

somebody5788 08-13-2013 06:25 AM

I don't think I would go as far as changing the color on the title. Plasti Dip is not really meant to be left exposed to the elements for more then a couple years before redoing it. The aluminum trim on my S4's front grill is currently plasti dipped black and has been for about a year and half and now needs to be done again.

lawsonej 08-13-2013 06:50 AM

Thats true, dont know where the legal part of it stands on how long you can drive a vehicle after the color is changed...as long as it doesnt cause any issues i dont care. ive had black plasti dip hold up pretty good the last couple years on another pair of black wheels for another car. but im hoping painting it and glossing it with a sealer would help the integrity a little

JohnnyZJ 08-13-2013 10:37 AM

don't paint it green. thats boring. every ZJ is green.

do something cool. yellow, orange, pink. maybe magenta. or aqua/teal.

i'd rock that

xcaliber81 08-13-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ (Post 15789292)
every ZJ is green.

I have a red zj :2thumbsup:

dylantheheeler 08-13-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcaliber81 (Post 15789429)
I have a red zj :2thumbsup:

Me dos


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

zachjf 08-13-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somebody5788 (Post 15788409)
I don't think I would go as far as changing the color on the title.

This.

No law I have ever heard of requires your paint to match whats on your title, if there is and someone can can prove it then I'll stand corrected. I do know a few people who have had custom paint jobs and been pulled over after the popo runs the plate, usually with no problem. Be warned tho, if you have super cops in your area they'll use it as a reason to pull you over, detain you and search you and your rig.... "stolen car" excuse and all.

Shanebear 08-13-2013 09:54 PM

How many cans would you say you used to do it?

lawsonej 08-14-2013 07:14 AM

I ended up using about 5 cans for a pretty thick coat. Mind you thats just for the half above the cladding. id add another can or can and a half to make it perfect the way i want.

somebody5788 08-14-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachjf (Post 15791772)
This.

No law I have ever heard of requires your paint to match whats on your title, if there is and someone can can prove it then I'll stand corrected. I do know a few people who have had custom paint jobs and been pulled over after the popo runs the plate, usually with no problem. Be warned tho, if you have super cops in your area they'll use it as a reason to pull you over, detain you and search you and your rig.... "stolen car" excuse and all.

I almost did when I titled mine and was repainting it. Then I realized it was still green.... LOL

dusterdude 08-14-2013 03:50 PM

Clearcoat it after you get the color you want

Y0ungGunZJ 08-14-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusterdude (Post 15794631)
Clearcoat it after you get the color you want

if you do this then the dip will be a PITA to take off. can you yes but it will be painstakingly slow.

RNMedic 08-14-2013 08:25 PM

law in Ohio

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachjf (Post 15791772)
This.

No law I have ever heard of requires your paint to match whats on your title, if there is and someone can can prove it then I'll stand corrected. I do know a few people who have had custom paint jobs and been pulled over after the popo runs the plate, usually with no problem. Be warned tho, if you have super cops in your area they'll use it as a reason to pull you over, detain you and search you and your rig.... "stolen car" excuse and all.


zachjf 08-14-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNMedic (Post 15795670)
law in Ohio

Only thing I could find on OBMV website was this;

What if the color of my vehicle changes?

Should you need to change the color of their vehicle (for example, if the automobile was painted a new shade), it can be changed during the next transaction at the Deputy Registrar (the Deputy Registrar cannot change the color unless an actual transaction is performed). Or, you may call 1-800-589-TAGS (1-800-589-8247) to have the change made. To view the color chart, click here.

How do I update my vehicle color on my registration?

You will be asked to provide a vehicle color at the Deputy Registrar at first issuance or renewal. You can also update the color online at www.oplates.com at renewal. Or, you can call 1-800-589-TAGS. Vehicle color will not be captured through the mail-in renewal process.

Will my vehicle registration reflect my vehicle color?

No, vehicle color information will only be maintained on the BMV's database.

zRoxxah 08-15-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawsonej (Post 15788395)
Spent some time last week plasti dipping my zj. Have black coats applied and im thinking about doing the last layer a certain color.. have considered od green, tan, blue and some others. open for suggestions/pictures on what others have tried. This is a fun project, but remember i have to drive this around town and eventually get the title color changed if i like something. Ill probably apply a glossifier later. Mind you that the color/plastidip is only going to be applied above the cladding. cladding will remain black/grey. I included a pic of a tan and green xj on here that google provided. the last was a joke. what plasti dip "blaze blue" would look like. or a cartoon zj what would look like lol :D

What kind of headlights do you have?

Out doing Jeep things..

Sent from my Nexus S using JeepForum


The time now is 06:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.