Plasti dip bumpers/moulding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Plasti dip bumpers/moulding

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Jeep318
1996 ZJ 

Plasti dip bumpers/moulding

So the PO of my jeep did a terrible spray paint job on my bumpers/moulding on my zj and I was considering plasti dip as a different solution ryher than trying to re spray paint it all. Has anybody used plasti dip on their jeep front and rear bumper and side moulding maybe the rocker panels as well. Post pictures if you do, thanks! Also how does it hold up to off road gunk? Does it clean easily?

Jeep318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

It's all in the prep. If you are starting with a crappy surface, then it won't last long. People have plastidipped their wheels, and their entire cars, so I would not see the plastic bumpers as an issue. Just keep in mind their is a rubber texture to it. I have done my interior trim pieces, because I was not a fan of the wood grain. It's pretty durable if you let it set right.
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

It works great. All you need to do is just clean the surface thoroughly before spraying, that's all the prep you need.

I've dipped the chrome trim on the grill of my S as well as the center console wood and even the heat shield on the exhaust of my CBR. All of these are going on 1 year + exposed to heat or salt or anything in between w/ no issues.
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Treleaven
1997 ZJ 

The only issue I would see is that if you are wheeling at all and get a scratch/rip in the plastidip, and you go to wash it, higher chance of it peeling on you. Interior panels do not take the abuse(I have done my woodgrain) and it looks great but my rims that go into mud and ice/snow are showing some dip damage after 8 months, not a lot, but its there.
Unread 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Check out www.dipyourcar.com as well as his youtube channel.
Unread 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
I used spray on bed liner and it holds up well IF YOU PRIME IT FIRST. Prep well and itll go a long way.

Good luck

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
plntman
1998 ZJ 

Been on the jeep about 6 weeks no wheeling yet but have washed with pressure washer and has not come off yet. Its about 3 coats from the rattle can red.

original all grey thought was too much once i get new bumpers they will be red also.

plntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treleaven View Post
The only issue I would see is that if you are wheeling at all and get a scratch/rip in the plastidip, and you go to wash it, higher chance of it peeling on you. Interior panels do not take the abuse(I have done my woodgrain) and it looks great but my rims that go into mud and ice/snow are showing some dip damage after 8 months, not a lot, but its there.

dip is plenty strong, do at least 4-5 coats is the minimum, when you go to prep the surface use rubbing alcohol. on my hood and mirrors i did 8 coats if not more. watch the youtube videos those will answer any questions on doing the dip.

if you need/ want to wash the jeep with the dip on, give the dip atleast 2 weeks to dry before taking it into the car wash. (i'd avoid any car wash that uses the rubber brushes) just in case.

for mud get the surface wet (knocking off the big chunks first) then take your brush with soapy water and it will look good as new.

if you get any over spray get a microfiber and it will rub off.

heres what i dipped hood/ mirrors/ pillars.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...wk-zj-1466513/
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Okay, so I would suggest not doing it. Here's why;

I dipped my hood, looks decent enough, but it is dificult to clean mud or dirt off of it, with the rubber texture and all, I imagine it would be even more dificult to clean the side molding to get it looking good again.

I can never get my hood fully clean, unless I spend a good bit of time on it (which I never do).

Anyways that's just my 2 cents
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

Just prep your bumpers and cladding and spray paint them to your liking. Plastidip like others said is good for some things and not for others. A lot of guys bedline their cladding and bumpers, i bedlined mine but the texture holds durn so im repainting mine with a semigloss black right over the bedliner so it keeps the textured look but wont be rough. I also plastidipped my wheels to get me through the school year and nothin has gone bad but its ok stuff, im peeling it off and painting them this summer. Plastidip after a while looks brown too and its a matte brown cause it stains. I like it cause its removable so i use it as a test to see how something would look if its black kinda deal and thats about it.
But if it were my jeep and someone did a crappy spray job id re do it and spray it right so you dont have to worry about it for a long while where with plastdip your probably gona be touching it up once in a while.
Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.