plans changing. do i need upgraded steering stuff? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > plans changing. do i need upgraded steering stuff?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-17-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
bobinAZ
1993 ZJ 

plans changing. do i need upgraded steering stuff?

got a 93 v8 and the front end steering/suspension all needs to be replaced. i planned on getting it back to stock all at once, but the cost is rising and I'm gonna budget it over 2/3 months.
I was gonna just do a 2" bb with 31's but now I'm thinking about a 3 or 3.5 suspension lift. since i gotta order tie rods, sway bars, control arms, ect.. (i may just order some bushings for the control arms.)
do i need anything other then stock spec's for those parts? by stock spec's i mean longer or different in some way to keep the geometry.

the jeep will see mostly pavement, and the 4 wheeling will be mostly sandy desert mountain trails and some wash's, nothing real hardcore.

I'm sticking with the CV front axles (for now) because its a straight replacement and didnt wanna mess with the u-joint conversion this early. plus they'll be here Monday.. and i already got Moog problem solver upper/lower ball joints.

also doing a TC swap, 242 or 231 which ever one i find first

i also need a front DS. should i wait to get that after the lift?
thanks everyone for all the help so far...

bobinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:29 AM   #2
Kolak
Vendor

The more you lift above 3" the greater the likelihood you will need adjustable arms to get the geometry correct. Since you have to replace your control arm bushings anyway, this would be a good opportunity to put that money toward the arms. You'll not only achieve better caster angle, pinion angle and wheel well centering, but you'll have much stronger solid arms and better tire clearance for wider tires.

PM me or email me if I can help. I have everything you need for a high quality build-up.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Dark_Sorrow
1994 ZJ 

You'll need the heavy duty tie rod, steering bars and ball joints. I got mine in a kit... I had 32's and they ripped the tie rods right out of the bar. Because the stock crap just uses clamps to hold them. I got a budget lift of 3 inches at first. It kind of sucks, but it was cheap. A year later went all out on a 6 inch lift with all adjustables and heavy duty everything and would strongly recommend going this route. I think I paid about 1200 for everything shipped
Dark_Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.