Which pitman arm do I need for my PS gearbox upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Which pitman arm do I need for my PS gearbox upgrade?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

Which pitman arm do I need for my PS gearbox upgrade?

I have a 99 durango steering gearbox that I want to put in my 93 ZJ 4.0. The pitman arm on my stock gearbox is not coming off (used a torch for 20 mins, broke two pullers ect)

I see that pitman arms are cheap so i was going to spare myself any more time and just buy a new one. Do I need to get the pitman arm for the 99 durango, or my ZJ?

93zjer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You need to get this HD puller from autozone. I broke the first smaller one. With this and a 3'-4' piece of pipe over the wrench as a breaker bar it came off in 2 minutes with no struggle. This puller didn't even break a sweat. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=209523_0_0_
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

That would be nice but I live in the middle of nowhere. We don't have autozone. We have orielly, Napa and car quest. None have a super hd puller. But pitman arm pullers are only about 30 bucks.
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I rented that one for 95 but they give your money back when you return it. That's too bad because that one works awesome.
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Got any auto repair shops locally? Anyone who's been in business a few years would probably have one, ask if they could pull it off.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

yeah, there are auto shops and machine shops but i am busy during business hours and i only have one vehicle, so i would have to take time off and arrange for a ride.
If i can just find out if I need another jeep ZJ 4.o pitman arm or a 99 durango pitman arm then i can have one dropped at my door for $30 and just bolt it on.
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I think they are the same. XJ, ZJ, ect. They can all fit the steering gear. Here is talk on the XJ board of a guy putting a ZJ arm on his Durango box. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/dur...man-arm-82921/

This guy reused his pitman on a Durango gear. Google finds stuff much better than the JF search.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...wap-zj-598866/
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

Thanks! Funny thing is I put a new steering gearbox in my friends 98 ZJ a month ago and the pitman arm came off no problem. In fact i used to think anyone that could t get them off just didn't know how to use a torch but his thing might as well be welded. I had it out to work on it and had to put the wholes gearbox back in. After the forces I subjected it to , I'd rather get a new one anyway.
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

An XJ pitman arm is roughly 3/4" difference, that's why XJ guys use the ZJ pitman.. to drop the drag link.

Is this a stock or lifted rig?
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

I have 2" OME coils that gave me about 2.25" of lift.
Unread 09-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

bump
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You won't need a drop pitman. The ZJ pitman arm is sold as a drop pitman for other Jeeps because of it's length.
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I think they are the same. XJ, ZJ, ect. They can all fit the steering gear. Here is talk on the XJ board of a guy putting a ZJ arm on his Durango box. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/dur...man-arm-82921/

This guy reused his pitman on a Durango gear. Google finds stuff much better than the JF search.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...wap-zj-598866/
this was the answer. ZJ or Durango pitman will both fit on the durango box. IDK if the durango is a "Drop" compared to the ZJ but I plan on using a ZJ pitman arm on the durango box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.