pinion bearing torque question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > pinion bearing torque question

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
jeepcjdummy

pinion bearing torque question

I have a dana 30 diff and have replaced the front pinion bearing a while back (approx 150 miles on it) The pinion rear bearing was found to be faulty (originally replaced the cone but not the race, a mistake for sure) I have now replaced both the rear cone and race. The specs I have state that when torquing used bearings a 6-8 inch pound setting is correct and when torquing new bearing a 12-15 in. pound setting is needed. I currently have 8 inch pounds torque on the pinion shaft My question is whether I should increase for the new bearing or should I leave the torque lower considering the semi break in element of the inner (larger) bearing.

jeepcjdummy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
jeepcjdummy

failed to mention that I'm referring to bearing preload when torquing down the pinion nut on the shaft.
Unread 12-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Nejeep

I would probably split the difference (10 in-lb), but I have never done a D30 so some other members may have better advice.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
jeepcjdummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejeep View Post
I would probably split the difference (10 in-lb), but I have never done a D30 so some other members may have better advice.

Thanks for the input Nejeep,..sounds like good advice to me,...I plan to give that a go,... will have to take it real easy on the wrench,.as I'm working with a no back-off crush sleeve for the bearing preloads.
Unread 12-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
KJK
1998 ZJ 

I've done my Dana 30 before and I'd probably shoot for 10 in. lbs also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.