Pinion Bearing bad; upgrade axle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Pinion Bearing bad; upgrade axle?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
NickkciN
1995 ZJ 

Pinion Bearing bad; upgrade axle?

So my pinion bearing is bad in my D30. I have been told the repair is going to be somewhere around $300-$350. I know I can get a D30 out of the jy for $54 but I really don't want to deal with inspecting the gears and shafts and cleaning rust and swapping them out. My dad has told me he will pay $350 for the repair which means I can spend my money on other things or use his money and my money and get somethin good, and I really want to lock the front. I have heard that an LSD won't really help me very much on rocks, is this true? If so, I can't put in a normal locker due to my TC being a damn 249. I don't have the money to replace my tc and buy a good locker.
What would you guys do in my situation?

short version: My pinion bearing is bad and I want to lock my front axle and I will have $350 from my dad + probably $200-$300 of my money to spend. What should I do?

1995 ZJ Limited
IRO 5.5" Critical Path Long Arms
Armored and Aussie locked
NickkciN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Wrangler11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you can get a d30 for $54 get it. Get me one too while your at it. It's a really easy swap. Depending on what you want to do you can get an Aussie for $239. You'd still have money left over for other stuff. You could run the Aussie with the 249 if you don't see a lot of snow. Why not take the extra cash and buy a np231. I've seen them as cheap as $100 and it's a fairly easy swap.

Previous Jeeps
2002 TJ, 1995 YJ, 2 1994 YJ, 1978 CJ7, 1970 CJ1, 2008 Grand Cherokee, 1997 Grand Cherokee, 1994 Cherokee, 1988 Comanchee
Wrangler11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Well. You'd need a hpd30 with 3.73 gears to make it a worthwhile upgrade for "only" 54$. But since those are rare as hens teeth you'd need to regear, which is a bit more than your budget will allow and leave you with money for a selectable locker.

Take the 350$, buy a 100$ np231, swap input shafts(make sure you buy a 95 or newer case) and put the rest towards that pinion bearing repair and save up for a lock right or aussie. All other options arent gonna be less than 1k$ all told.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.