JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   pinion bearing/axle question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/pinion-bearing-axle-question-1413098/)

duhkooter 09-03-2012 01:42 PM

pinion bearing/axle question

my pinion bearing just went in my 94 grand, i was wondering if it would be cheaper/smarter if i bought a new axle or paid someone to fix it.

iser 09-03-2012 04:14 PM

three months in the forum, and i already see the same threads popping up every week. i can't imagine some of you guys dealing with this for 3-4 years, lol.

first of all, fill out your profile. which axles do you have? d30? d44/d35? did the front go or did the rear go? what is your current setup? are you planning to put bigger tires on or lift it? are you planning to re-gear at all? there are so many things that has to be answered before anyone can help you.

start by filling out your information so we know what we are dealing with.

p.s. 99% times, i recommend swapping.

duhkooter 09-03-2012 07:48 PM

it went in the front.. i have a dana 30 axle, i have a completely stock setup. im currently saving to get a 4 inch short arm lift from rusty's and will most likely run 32's... but either way i should still swap?

Airborn 09-03-2012 08:38 PM

Pinion bearing litterally takes an hour to replace as well as the pinion seal + about $20 in parts
Just my .02

Jimh64 09-03-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airborn
Pinion bearing litterally takes an hour to replace as well as the pinion seal + about $20 in parts
Just my .02

Don't you need special tools? I have read that it is simpler to just swap axles rather than work on the differential.

1slammed87 09-03-2012 09:19 PM

It is relativly easy to replace the pinion bearing and no special tools needed besides pressing the inner bearing on and off. But im sure a shop near you would press a new one on for you fairly cheap. You will need to pull the axles out a little to get the carrier out. so if you can do the work yourself its cheaper to fix it. Good luck

Jimh64 09-03-2012 09:47 PM

Is there an easy way to tell if my pinion bearing is out or my carrier bearings? I replaced both axle bearings and seals, and I still get the loud whining, howling noise. What is strange though is that is doesn't happen in reverse.

When I did the bearings, I rotated the shaft and the two small gears fell out when I had the pin out. I got them back in with those small flat shims, but I am wondering if they had to go back in the same place, because they got mixed up.

The gears were not chipped or did not seem worn out when I pulled the axles out.

KJK 09-03-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimh64 (Post 14117216)
Don't you need special tools? I have read that it is simpler to just swap axles rather than work on the differential.

That's the internet talking. 99% of them don't know *****.

JohnnyZJ 09-03-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJK (Post 14117521)
That's the internet talking. 99% of them don't know *****.

x2

you won't know whats gone until you pull it apart anyways. could be bearings, could be gears. thats why people say its easier to swap diffs........

bearing rebuild kit is 100 bux easy. if you have the tools its a day to rebuild.
if you have a press.

toss up what the problem is..............

iser 09-03-2012 11:24 PM

i am the 99%!!! =D

edit: didn't realize, he said the bearings. i auto-assumed that the gears exploded. do what johnnyzj said. if you can diagnose the exact problem, try fixing it. if not, swap it. it took me a day to pull and swap, so i know swapping an axle is pretty easy too.

Technohead 09-04-2012 05:11 AM

94 ZJ (18 years old) + bad pinion bearing = time to rebuild the whole axle.

Jimh64 09-04-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technohead (Post 14118096)
94 ZJ (18 years old) + bad pinion bearing = time to rebuild the whole axle.

It is a 95 with 165,000. I can get a 97 rear axle assembly for $250 that only has 90,000 on it. Since I am not familiar with gears and bearings, I think that might be my easiest option. My luck, I would tear into it and replace the pinion bearing and then later find out that my gears are just worn out.

Does anyone agree one way or the other?

ratmonkey 09-04-2012 03:00 PM

Replace the whole thing...but 250 is step for a d30.
It doesn't take much time to do, but you need to know how to set the bearing preload..unless you're one of those know it all shade tee mechanics that never touches a torque wrench and just does it all by feel.

Airborn 09-04-2012 08:19 PM

I am used to having tools at the ready. I didnt even think about others that may not have them on stand by so if you want you can disregard my previous statement. But yes 250 is a little much. I paid 125 for my d35, granted it is a d35 but still. lol. Basically do what you feel comfortable with. If you woul drather spend just a bit more to do something you are more comfortbale with (axle swap) then do that rather than the pinion bearing

The time now is 11:23 PM.