Pinging under light throttle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Pinging under light throttle

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 11-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
timandsam

Pinging under light throttle

Hi All,

I am getting some pinging under light acceleration. FYI, this is a 95 ZJ w/ a 5.2. I have replaced managed to fix everything that was throwing all my CELs (O2 and EGR transponder) and the pinging is still there.

The pinging happens more often than not. It seems to happen more under light (20% or less) throttle and low RPM (1500 or less). Going up hill seems to intensify this problem. Also, it seems to be worst around 45MPH ish.

If i get out of the throttle a bit or get on the throttle a little harder, the pinging seems to clear up.

BTW, i have already done the spark plug wire re-routing TSB.

I am currently getting about 16MPG, I can see a bit of oil when i look down the throttle body. I have never noticed oil smoke out the exhaust.

Since this happens at such low throttle, does this really sound like plenum gasket?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

timandsam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm

Open the throttle body and shine a flash light down there and see if you see oil or brown burnt oil. The plenum pan should be clean metal. This is a very common factory failure on magnum motors.

This is the fix

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=27091
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

1. Plenum
2. Running lean
3. Faulty plugs
4. Bad EGR
5. Crappy gas
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
timandsam

PolkaPower
I can see oil down the TB, its hard to tell how dirty or clean the pan is though. I will have to take another look.
I read that the Hughes kit came with some pretty shoddy gaskets. Is that still the case?

Jason
I plan on hooking up a vacuum gauge to do the definate test for the plenum gasket.
I have suspicions about the TB gaskets since the intake looks damp all around the TB.
I haven't checked the plugs yet.
I have tried gas from different places and even tried mid-grade 89

Is it possible to have a dead spot in the TPS that would cause this?
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The hughes kit uses fel pro now I believe so they fixed that issue. If you see oil in there it's the plenum and the cause of your pinging.
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

i'm throwing in a cat.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
timandsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
i'm throwing in a cat.
Why do you say that?
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The hughes kit uses fel pro now I believe so they fixed that issue. If you see oil in there it's the plenum and the cause of your pinging.
This. If there's oil in there, you need to replace the plenum gasket. Your best bet is to buy the Hughes kit previously mentioned because it replaces the stock plenum plate with a 1/4" aluminum plate that won't flex and allow the gasket to blow out like the stock one did.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
timandsam

Alright, well i will start ordering the parts when i get paid this Friday. Thanks. I guess i may as well do a 180* thermostat, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor right away.

Is there anything else easy to do while it is apart?

I am trying to figure out what ZeeJay1997 means. Can a clogged cat really cause any of these issues? I am not losing any performance.
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I don't know first hand what the kit comes with. When I did mine, I purchased my plenum plate from a guy over on thespeedfreaks.net. I sourced my gaskets and everything else separately. I see you're going to do the thermostat. That's good. I'd also recommend doing the coolant bypass hose. Other than that, I can't think of much. I know a lot of guys say don't reuse the intake bolts. I did. I don't think it's an issue to reuse them, but then again, I'm not responsible for your vehicle.
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Don't worry about the cat just fix the plenum. Nothing indicates a bad cat so far. I would replace all hoses while you're at it. A 180* t stat in a cold weather state is not the best idea IMO. It will just keep the motor from reaching operating temp longer and your heat may not work as well when it gets really cold. WHat ever you choose, get a good brand T stat. Do not use a Failsafe.

Other things to consider are the crank shaft sensor, cam shaft sensor, valve cover gaskets, injectors, and after you get it back together adding an oil catch can in the pvc line to catch the blowby from getting into the intake after it's been cleaned.

Also when you are doing the repair, toss the front and rear molded gaskets and use Permatex right stuff or something like it instead. Lay a thick bead of it in the shape of the gaskets and let it set for 20-30 minutes before you drop the intake back on. It's not easy to get the stock gaskets to stay put when you put the intake back on and you may have a leak from them afterward and you don't want to do this twice.
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Also when you are doing the repair, toss the front and rear molded gaskets and use Permatex right stuff or something like it instead. Lay a thick bead of it in the shape of the gaskets and let it set for 20-30 minutes before you drop the intake back on. It's not easy to get the stock gaskets to stay put when you put the intake back on and you may have a leak from them afterward and you don't want to do this twice.
Truth. Ask me how I know... Better yet, ask my driveway.
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Truth. Ask me how I know... Better yet, ask my driveway.
What you had an oil water fall? Or was it coolant?
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

The rear cork slid and I have a very small leak. I get about a drop a week from it. A drop a week over time adds up pretty quickly. My ZJ definitely marked it's territory at my new house. I'm assuming it's that because I can feel the cork behind it sticking out and everything in that area is covered in oil.
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
timandsam

Thanks for the tips! I'll be picking up some Right Stuff as well!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.