Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Pics of Lifted 2wd Zj's?

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MStaffin 
#1 ·
I am newish to the forum and have owned several Jeeps. Commando's, CJ's, Grand Wagoneer's. This being my first 2wd, and I've only owned it a week, i'm starting to feel a little left out. I bought this as a daily driver and never intended use it off-road. With that, now looking at you guy's Zj's lifted, off roading....maybe I need to sell it and get a 4wd. I would have a hard time finding a 97 as clean as the one i bought. It is truly in excellent condition which is the only reason I bought it.

How off roadable are the 2wd ZJ's with lift and locked rear end? My old Nissan 2wd I had set up as a pre-runner and did fairly well off-road.

Any pics and comments much appreciated.

#2 ·
domn8r said:
I am newish to the forum and have owned several Jeeps. Commando's, CJ's, Grand Wagoneer's. This being my first 2wd, and I've only owned it a week, i'm starting to feel a little left out. I bought this as a daily driver and never intended use it off-road. With that, now looking at you guy's Zj's lifted, off roading....maybe I need to sell it and get a 4wd. I would have a hard time finding a 97 as clean as the one i bought. It is truly in excellent condition which is the only reason I bought it.

How off roadable are the 2wd ZJ's with lift and locked rear end? My old Nissan 2wd I had set up as a pre-runner and did fairly well off-road.

Any pics and comments much appreciated.
Congrats on your new purchase. Your ZJ will look exactly the same as a 4WD with a lift on it, so you can just refer to any of those pictures in the sticky. Also, with the right lift/tire setup/diffs your Jeep could be quite capable. I have read numerous stories of a 2wd guy out with the four wheelers, doing just fine. You just don't see it often because people figure modding a 2WD Jeep to offroading specs is foolish. If you like the truck you bought I would say go for 3.5", some big rubbers, and an ARB and you should be set.

#4 ·
I am not the most off-road savvy member on here, but Hunter (Texas ZJ1) seems to be the most knowledgable if you want gear advice.

Kevins Jeep Parts is also a wonderful resource and have only heard excellent things.

What do you have on the jeep now? As far as diffs do you know if you have limited slip? You can either go that route or you can get lockers. The latter will effect drivability on pavement in a major way, but you will get unparalled traction.

Is it a 2wd also?

#5 ·
4x4 or 2x4 on the Grands doesn't really matter for the lifts. I know that Buhda Kip has a 2wheel drive lifted grand that looks awesome. The only way you can tell is the lack of diff and the lack of the front driveshaft. Yet, with a lift, tires, and limited slip or locker, you'd be set for some basic wheelin.

Hunter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.