Picked up a ZJ cheap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Picked up a ZJ cheap

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
mnypitZJ

Picked up a ZJ cheap

OK just picked this thing up. Its a 94 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Been looking for an inexpensive Jeep 4x4 automatic to teach my daughter how to drive. Prior to her getting her driver permit at 15 she didnt have any problem driving the 5 speed YJ on trails ect, but now that she has her permit she has completely forgotten how to drive a stick, so in the interest of saving whats left of our clutch and transmission I bought this one for $600.

It is in pretty good condition, the interior is like new other than a few stains, which I seem to be coming clean. The exterior was filthy from sitting for over a year in a carport, but it seems to be cleaning up nicely too. It will need a new r/f fender, but otherwise it is perfectly straight. We had to put a battery in it(damn they have gotten expensive!!). It is running a bit rough, but the more we drive it the better it gets. I suspect bad fuel from sitting. 4x4 works well too. Only weird issue is the transmission slips every once in a while coming off a stop. Not all the time, only sometimes.

So one quick question. The owner passed away over a year ago and its been sitting. The transmission has a pretty good leak from a botched pan gasket replacement, so the wife has been putting dollar store ATF in it, not ATF+4, but cheapo ATF. Could this be the reason its slipping once in a while? I assume from the FAQ that it is a 42RE.

541494_4025652654981_1455950822_n.jpg   1560595_4025652134968_1582333750_n.jpg   1003220_4025651574954_1667092965_n.jpg  
mnypitZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
shaban
1996 ZJ 

I'd say change over to ATF+4 (or ATF+3 if you're tight on money, but you'd have to change ATF+3 more frequently), and see how it goes.
Slipping is a general sign of a tranny being worn and in need of rebuild, however you can alleviate it with a good fluid. Put in a new filter and gasket as you're doing that, and keep an eye on metal shards/flakes in the pan.

Also these trannies are known for governor pressure solenoid and sensor going bad, but that causes some weird shifting rather than slips, as far as I know.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Dollar store atf is fine if it was atf+4 but i would do a tranny service anyway
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
mnypitZJ

Its weird what it does. At a light, it feels like its pulling as long as I have the brake on, then I let off the brake and step on the gas and it almost feels like the diff or transfer case slips for a couple seconds and then it grabs and goes fine. Shifts all the way up to top gear and once it grabs it pulls like it should. And it only does it once in a while, not every time.

Oh and apparently the header panels are different over the years. Picked one up in a salvage yard today and its completely different. UGH.
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Check your tranny fluid level first of all. Should be warm (a good 10 mile lap around the city should do it), idling in NEUTRAL (not park), on level surface.
These trannies are very sensitive to proper fluid level too.
Unread 01-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
mnypitZJ

Yep, I did that. I was looking at a FAQ, or I think I was, yesterday that listed some common fixes yesterday and for some reason I cant find it now. Anybody got that link?
Unread 01-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
shaban
1996 ZJ 

This one?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-them-1432264/
Unread 01-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Yep header panel and front grill was changed in 96, looks good for $600!

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
mnypitZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaban View Post
Yep that one. I found it pretty quickly the other day, but for the life of me I couldn't find it today. Thanks for the link.
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

Nice find on your ZJ. Worst case, replace the transmission with one from a JY. There are quite a few people here who have done the junk yard tranny swap and had no problems.

When my daughter was learning to drive, I did something similar with an XJ. My daughter had issues with the 5 speed in our ZJ, so I got (actually was given) an '86 XJ with a bad motor. I swapped in a running 3.4L GM crate engine and the XJ became her learning vehicle and DD. After a year of suffering through getting up early to start her Jeep and let it warm up before leaving for school (carburerated engine) and no mishaps, I worked a deal on a lifted '99 XJ for her and sold the '86. She is about to graduate and will take the '99 to college with her. I tried to trade her for a WJ, but she wants her XJ.

Don't worry too much about the transmission. After sitting as long as it did, it may have an internal seal that is a bit stiff. Change the fluid and filter when you fix the leak and continue driving it unless the slip gets worse. It may end up fixing itself with some use.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
mnypitZJ

That was kinda my thoughts too Joe. If it goes it goes I guess. The u pull it yard in Daytona has about a dozen ZJs and I think 6 or 7 XJs, so I dont think I will have an issue finding a tranny.
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnypitZJ View Post
That was kinda my thoughts too Joe. If it goes it goes I guess. The u pull it yard in Daytona has about a dozen ZJs and I think 6 or 7 XJs, so I dont think I will have an issue finding a tranny.
The XJ transmission will not swap with the ZJ. The XJ uses the AW-4 automatic. Still, there should be no shortage of donors if you need one. Just be sure to get one from an inline ZJ rather than a V-8, as the bellhousing bolt pattern is different.

The AW-4 could be made to work, since it bolts right up to the 4.0L engine, but there are computer issues that will create problems you don't need.

-Joe
Unread 01-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
mnypitZJ

The fluid is spotless on the stick, and I had some ATF+4 sitting on the shelf, so I did a classic drain and fill. Pulled the pan, made a gasket with the sheet of gasket material I had, and drove it. The filter looked to be fairly new. I think the person I bought it from said her husband had just did the service, but what she was putting in there was not ATF+4, it was just ATF. Took it for a spin and it didnt slip at all. Drove about 10 miles. Gonna take it for a longer ride later, but I think the problem is fixed. It does have a particularly long 2-3 shift. Not slipping, just if your on the gas a bit it takes a while to shift. If you let off the gas it goes right in.

Picked up some stock LJ rims with 30s on them, and a used fender and it looks and runs great now. Too bad the fender is a different color.
Unread 01-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnypitZJ View Post
The fluid is spotless on the stick, and I had some ATF+4 sitting on the shelf, so I did a classic drain and fill. Pulled the pan, made a gasket with the sheet of gasket material I had, and drove it. The filter looked to be fairly new. I think the person I bought it from said her husband had just did the service, but what she was putting in there was not ATF+4, it was just ATF. Took it for a spin and it didnt slip at all. Drove about 10 miles. Gonna take it for a longer ride later, but I think the problem is fixed. It does have a particularly long 2-3 shift. Not slipping, just if your on the gas a bit it takes a while to shift. If you let off the gas it goes right in.

Picked up some stock LJ rims with 30s on them, and a used fender and it looks and runs great now. Too bad the fender is a different color.

-Joe
Unread 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

If I may chime in, Get your daughter to do the work to it!! She may not enjoy it but it's her vehicle and knowing a thing or two about mechanics never hurts! Being able to do your own oil changes instead of paying jiffy lube $100+ to do it is a big deal for a college student!!
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.