performance mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > performance mods

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 04-04-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
00grand

performance mods

i have a 2000 GCL 4.0l and want to do some minor performance mods i.e. K&N FIPK and maybe a Rustys catback. Does anyone have these mods, and if so do you like them/are they worth the money, and do they sound good?

-Thanks

00grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
Varkyl
No where near stock

Honestly I wouldn't do a FIPK again, it's not worth the gain. Also if you are looking for a performance exhaust contact Nick at kolak@kolakperformance.com.
He will get you set-up right.

new sig coming soon
Varkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
00grand

i mostly drive it on the street, does the FIPK really help with MPG like K&N says it does? also how does the engine sound with it?(like meaner)?
00grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I like the sound, but don't plan on any MPG gains...it may or may not but certainly don't plan on it.
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
Varkyl
No where near stock

Really doesn't do much for mileage or performance. The sound isn't worth the price of admission. It's a six cylinder so you aren't going to get good sounds out of it anyways. The best advice I can give you is: change your filters regularly and get a nice exhaust with a free flowing cat. Those should serve you well.

new sig coming soon
Varkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
jeepin4evr
1998 ZJ 

YES. The FIPK will give you, for what I believe to be noticable performance. And it will give you 1-2 mpg better milage provided you don't enjoy the sound too much,
The intake is not hard to build yourself. I did it for my XJ but for my ZJ I just bought one in a big buy from kolak.
For exhaust I would recommend contacting kolak. The cat back is not much of a performance gainer BUT combined with a new performance hearder and a full 2.5 inch exhaust and high flow cat, the 4.0l would sing. On my XJ I just have an intake, TB space and a 2.25 gibson catback. On my ZJ I just had thorley heaaders and a full 3" exhaust with a high flow cat and DAMN! Does it sound good and run good. I am so impressed I think I might order the headers for the XJ and go with the 2.5 like Kolak recommends.
Knn FIPK
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil
Courtsey of Kolak
Thorley headers, flow master 70, carsound cat
[]lllllll[]
_____
jeepin4evr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
sportsdevil333
1999 WJ 

the K&N really makes ur gas more responsive and gives a better humming at hard accelerations
sportsdevil333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdevil333 View Post
the K&N really makes ur gas more responsive and gives a better humming at hard accelerations
I think the OP has made his/her decision by now. It's only been 3yrs since the last post in this thread
Unread 03-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldoradoman View Post
I think the OP has made his/her decision by now. It's only been 3yrs since the last post in this thread
whoknows...maybe they aren't newbs anymore...then again someone had to re open it.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
Tigggger
1995 ZJ 

Wow...wtf!?
Tigggger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Guys the reason people (specifically sportsdevil333) are bringing back so many older threads is most likely because of the "Related Threads" at the bottom of each thread. They look at one thing, and bam, see a link to a 3 year old thread - not bothering to look at the date of the related thread.

Sportsdevil, I asked you nicely to stop bringing back old threads simply to comment on them
Unread 03-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

uh o...don't piss off Arlo...he will let you have it.

since we are on mods (not you Arlo)...I had a buddy swear by the turbonator in his wifes minivan...I almost died laughing...but he was serious.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #13
Polarmatt
1997 ZJ 

So, has anyone actually posted true results from the K&N filter? Is it worth the hassle, or not?
Polarmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Three year bump quickly followed by a 7 month bump

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

WJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!

Grand Cherokee General Discussion Holiday Giveaway
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.