performance ignition coil. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > performance ignition coil.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Yeah, the unprotected exposed epoxy doesn't look too good.

Unread 07-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
I went with the Accel super coil and seems to work well in my 96 4.0. Believe Rat's only gripe with the Accel is he said they don't last very long and guess I'll find out.
Ran the Accel for 10+ years without a hitch. I still have it laying around somewhere and it still works.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
ShowCase
1998 ZJ 

i was thinking of picking this up http://www.performancedistributors.com/jeep4.0.htm

think it'd be worth it?
ShowCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Your engine may run hotter with that coil and the wires.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Don't know the 4.0 too well, but if you gap the plugs say over .050-.055 on the V8, it will screw up the timing. A wider gap makes the spark take longer. I know it sounds crazy. That stuff in the link is the same as the first post, Davis Unified Ignition. Actually I think that gear looks pretty cool. Just a little pricey.

After looking again, the gear in the first post does not say DUI. The coil sure looks the same tho. The stuff you posted is DUI.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Your engine may run hotter with that coil and the wires.
Why would that be?

I noticed cap/rotor don't last as long. Higher voltage erodes the contacts faster. That's my theory anyway, not positive of it.
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #22
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Ran the Accel for 10+ years without a hitch. I still have it laying around somewhere and it still works.
Thanks HighLonesome and nice to know there may be some longevity in using an Accel coil. Below is the one I bought for my 96 4.0 and used a $20 discount code to knock the price down to $40 plus tax.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...15034|L3*16064

Not sure if it increased performance, didn't change the Champion copper plug gap from .035, but still getting 18mpg so can't complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
I noticed cap/rotor don't last as long. Higher voltage erodes the contacts faster. That's my theory anyway, not positive of it.
Don't know about it eroding the inside cap contacts as fast but I was surprised to find the middle coil wire socket on the cap as corroded as it was. And this was with a fairly new cap and new wires. I need to get rid of the new junk Autolite wires I bought and just bought some Denso's. Also just bought a better brass contact cap w/rotor instead the the aluminum contacts cap which came with a new Remy distributor.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Kolak
Vendor

Take a look here at this thread about my Kolak Ignition:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...ne-up-1112455/

You'd really appreciate the quality of my kit. PM me if you'd like pricing. I give JeepForum members 10% off the regular price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowCase View Post
i was thinking of picking this up http://www.performancedistributors.com/jeep4.0.htm

think it'd be worth it?
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #24
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowCase View Post

think it'd be worth it?
This is an excellent kit for the 4.0

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.