PCV oil catch can - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > PCV oil catch can

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

PCV oil catch can

Since I just did the plenum pan fix and cleaned up the intake I want to keep it clean. Ratmonkey gave me the idea to install a filter in the PCV line going to the manifold to catch any oil in the vapor. I want to do something like this but there is very little room. I don't want to use a small in line fuel filter because it would clog up fast and restrict flow. Has anyone done a set up like this? I'm going down to Lowes or home depot tomorrow to look at their air line filters. I have also contemplated fabbing one of my own like the red water bottle but again, there is not really any room for something this large. Here is also a pic of a very nice one.

picture-4.jpg   picture-5.jpg   picture-6.png  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
tirus89
1993 ZJ 

I did the first one pictured. Came across this idea like 4 years ago on a Honda forum. Used it since, and I empty it once every 6 months. Totally works.

//93 ZJ//5.2L//NP249//K&N Fipk Gen II//2" BB w/BD AT Shocks//4.10's//31" Cooper Discovery STT's//Cstm Frnt Bmpr//Custom Rear Tube Bmpr//3" Magnaflow exhaust w/high flow cat//500RMS Pioneer Amp//600RMS 12" JL Audio Sub//
tirus89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Cool that's what I was looking for. Did you take the filter out of it? If you wouldn't mind taking a pic of where you located it that would be helpful.
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

This is what I ended up getting at Home Depot. Husky air line filter. I removed the filter as it's not needed. There is a small fan blade inside it that spins and creates a vortex as the air flows through. It was opened up so I got 5 bucks off. Then I got some 3/8 brass fittings for it to run the lines to and from. It's about 6.5" long and I am going to mount it on the back firewall near the pass valve cover. I just need to find or make a bracket. Total cost is around 30 bucks and now My intake will stay clean.
p1010744.jpg   p1010745.jpg  
Unread 10-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Here it is ghetto rigged temporarily until I can make a bracket. There are a couple of mounting points for a bracket right below using the coolant over flow bottle stud and the cruise control bracket stud. Just going to take some finesse as it's a really tight space. I may build a heat shield for it too. They have smaller Airline filters but I wanted to keep it at 3/8 as to not impede the flow.
p1010749.jpg   p1010748.jpg  
Unread 10-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

yep, that's how it's done.
i end up going through 4 of those 3/8 filters every 6 months between my vehicles.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
yep, that's how it's done.
i end up going through 4 of those 3/8 filters every 6 months between my vehicles.
Thanks for the suggestion. This idea should be a sticky. This is really the only place to mount one this size. I think it will be fine. A small bracket that has an O between the arms would be nice but The more I look at it the lazier I get. I may just get some really thick zip ties and red neck it.

Cheers Rat.
Unread 10-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
coltman151
1995 ZJ 

if you pulled the husky sticker off, and once you get it on the firewall, itll be unnoticable.

looks good, and I hope it works good for you.
Unread 10-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltman151 View Post
if you pulled the husky sticker off, and once you get it on the firewall, itll be unnoticable.

looks good, and I hope it works good for you.
I got the stickers off and hit it with some high temp black. It just will not fit on the fire wall. It hits the valve cover. With out using a smaller coolant overflow, I don't see how it would fit any place here on the passenger side. The bottom had a cheap plastic valve on it. I but a bolt with some JB weld to seal it permanently.
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

make an "L" bracket, drill 2 holes and bolt it under the 2 lower overflow bottle bolts then bolt your catch can to the bracket
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
make an "L" bracket, drill 2 holes and bolt it under the 2 lower overflow bottle bolts then bolt your catch can to the bracket
Sounds like a plan. I would like to make one with an L bracket that has an flat O at one end so the filter can screw into it. Maybe I will measure it out and have one laser cut.
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

so the 3/8 ones that people do not like...are those just the 3/8" glass fuel filters like for marine applications? I am lazy enough that I'd go that route now since my ZJ is not driven much...what inline filters were you guys talking about as the alternative? BTW, nice work on this setup and do post the finished bracket.

Other observations:

- you spray painted your rusty A/C accumulator like I did
- you have a cracked top coolant tank mounting hole like I do
- your upper shock bolt is over-torqued and the bushing is pancaked out a little
- your ECU is not covered in that heatshield tape like my OEM one is (CA emis?)
- missing low-side A/C valve cap
WJ - 4.7 H.O. Freedom
FastSUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The inline fuel filters get filled/clogged up too fast and cause poor flow. I lost the ac cap when I was messing around with too many things at once. I put it somewhere in the garage. It's here but just not visible. Yea, I forgot about the shock bushings. I noticed that a long time ago and just never did anything about it. Don't care much about the coolant tank as long as it's not leaking. I need a new one. I'll get one from the junk yard once it cools off more.

They make a smaller version of the one I got that would fit better. You could get fittings with a 3/8 outlet.
picture-1.jpg  
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
steeleman3
1993 ZJ 

Agreed on that this should be tossed in the FAQ. I like the idea of this and if it'll keep oil out of the plenum then why the hell not?
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleman3 View Post
Agreed on that this should be tossed in the FAQ. I like the idea of this and if it'll keep oil out of the plenum then why the hell not?
It won't if the plenum gasket is bad, but you are right that it will keep oil out of the intake that gets sucked through the vapor into the intake. I noticed a little oil around the PCV nipple and at first though I screwed up the plenum install. But when I looked closer, it was only around that area and you could see that mark it made dripping down. I cleaned it up best I could. PCV sucks. Supposed to be better for the environment but it's bad for the motor.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.