PCV Or CCV Valve On 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > PCV Or CCV Valve On 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
Dave2002

PCV Or CCV Valve On 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hello Everyone,

I have been going through hell with my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 with a stumble.

One of my last conquests in my process of elimination is getting rid of the blow by creating oil in my air filter.

To make this short:

Front elbow coming out of the valve cover with tube going to the air filter, disassembled / cleaned and put it back together.

Rear elbow coming out of the valve cover with tube going to the intake manifold. disasembled, cleaned out thin plastic tube going to the rubber elbow on intake manifold, which has suction.

Unscrewed rear elbow off the intake manifold. I could blow air through it, but it was restricted. So I used a drill bit to open the hole and cleaned it out / re-assembled the thin tube complete.

QUESTION: What is that rear elbow?? pcv? ccv? And is there anything else I should look for to see if it is bad????

Is seems to idle better and my oil pressure guage looks to be more in the sixt range (cold) instead of the 70-80 range.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
WBowie
2004 WJ 

Hi Dave,

I have the exact same Jeep as you. I just went to the dealership and bought new CCV replacements. They only cost like 30 dollars. Like you I had oil blowback in my airfilter. Replacing ALL the CCV stuff solved the problem. My oil guage also didn't seem to be reading correctly either and I found that the oil level sensor had gone bad. This also an easy fix and the part isn't too expensive from the dealership and its reccomended to use the Mopar sensor from DC. A sign the sensor is going bad is that it will leak oil onto the oil filter below it.

Hope this helps you some.

Welcome to the group!

-William
WBowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

replacing the grommets is what fixed my blow by problem into the air filter. you should replace them.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Dave2002

Still Stumbling

Thanks guys for your advice.

I am going to replace the gromets as suggested.

The tubing was clogged, as well as the ccv, but in decent shape, as they were replaced a few years ago.

Thanks Again Guys,

Dave

93 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Plain Jane
88 Cev. K1500
74 BMW 2002

Last edited by Dave2002; 03-22-2007 at 11:58 AM..
Dave2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
hkeller

I had this problem on my 86 4.0. I removed all of the small plastic factory tubing, replaced the rear elbo with a 3/8" brass elbow, and ran 3/8" fuel line over to the airbox. I then capped or plugged all of the other holes from the stock system, it worked like a charm. I even think it ran a bit better, but am not certain.
hkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

The rear elbow that you drilled out is now probably out of spec. It has a fixed orifice of a calibrated size which is supposed to meter (limit) the amount of crankcase vapors drawn out of the engine. The orifice can be cleaned out by pushing the end of a paper clip through it, but it is not supposed to be drilled out by a drill bit larger than the orifice size. Get a replacement from the dealership, get new grommets for where the elbows enter the valve cover, and replace any old rubber tubing that may be hard and cracked. None of this is very expensive.
Unread 03-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
WBowie
2004 WJ 

I agree. Thats what it looked like the previous owner had done on my jeep. Total cost for ALL the grommets and tubes was around 30.00 and took less than 5min to install.
WBowie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.