PCM Shot??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > PCM Shot???

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
COLDFEAR
1995 ZJ 

PCM Shot???

i was out at a friends house last night and she drove out fine. she sat infront of the house for about 2 hours and i came out and tryed to start her and nothing...the check engine light doesnt come on when i turn the key so im guessing that means the PCM isnt starting up. any advice? i have had problems with the positive battery cable connecting to the battery idno if that would affect it. cause i do have power just not to the PCM.

Unread 04-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I would check battery cables and fuses before calling the PCM bad.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
COLDFEAR
1995 ZJ 

fuses are all good. and everything else has power....
Unread 04-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Save yourself some grief and be sure you are getting battery power, fused ignition, and ground to the PCM. Just because everything else is powering up doesn't mean the PCM is getting power.

I don't have a diagram, maybe someone can tell you which pins to check. With the power up check not showing on the cluster when ignition is turned on, one of two things: power is missing or PCM is indeed shot.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
camboman5
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
I don't have a diagram, maybe someone can tell you which pins to check. With the power up check not showing on the cluster when ignition is turned on, one of two things: power is missing or PCM is indeed shot.
If you go to www.jeepslimited.com they have service manuals for most jeeps so you should be able to locate a wiring diagram and everything you need to know about replacing parts for your heep. Be sure you register a username and password, then go to the Download tab at the top (DL tab will only appear if you are a registered member).

Hope that helps.
camboman5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
draphty

Been thru this. Check the power and ground input pins at the PCM connector. Also make sure your bulb is good for the CEL on the dash. If you're gettting power and a good ground, and the bulb is good, figure on the PCM. Also, try this, with the ignition on, push your overdrive on/off switch. If the light above the switch does not light up, get yourself a PCM. Hope this helps, if you need pin callouts, go here for a manual posted on-line for a '93 ZJ.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/4790750/93...14-Fuel-System

Section 14 Page 70.

Not sure who posted this, but I found it when I was having the same issue. Also search for post's by me on this Forum and on Jeeps Unlimited Forum for more info from others that helped me out. Good Luck!
draphty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.