PCM Harness Connector Repair - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
cjseipp
1997 FSJ Cherokee 

PCM Harness Connector Repair

This is the famed 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee intermittent hard start and stalling problems.

The car and I live in South Florida so there is no extreme ambient temperature fluctations.

I have good fuel pressure and spark.

There were several issues that have been resolved.

Battery post causing bad ground, fixed.....ran good for a while.

During a cold snap, hard start became an issue......Coolant Sensor and Intake Air Sensor checked good for proper resistance at varying temperature ranges.

Found out that the Idle Air Control Motor was sticking, replaced it and ran fine.

At the beginning of the problems I took the PCM to the Auto Computer exchange shop in Davie Florida and they run a bench test simulating varying engine run conditions. PCM was fine.

Tried the backing out of the PCM mounting screws, (LOL) thought I had it licked,

Finally found issue with the White and Grey connectors on the PCM.....

I have tried the various securing methods, tie straps etc....again it would be fine for a while then back to the same old issue.

Used the Electric Contact Cleaner product on the PCM pins and the Harness Connector mating holes. No Go.

Decided to begin disassembly of the Harness Connector. First stage was to remove the back piece to expose the wires, Would get the engine running and then carefully manipulate each wire, Found 2 that would make the engine purr or could get it to go rough and shut it down.

So the adventuresome one that I am, I decide that I needed to get the connectors themselves.

I have now access to the female connectors that were in the White Connector Block.

I thought they were split connectors and I could give each a gently squeeze with some fine needle nose pliers to close them and create a better contact.

Before I proceed on this fine South Florida afternoon. I was hoping someone else had gone down this path......

Hope some brilliant suggestions will come my way.

Thanks to all that may help

Charlie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you need a special tool to properly disassemble the connector and reassemble it.

the ends are special as well and should be available through a dealer. though you will likely play hell getting the parts monkey to figure out the parts numbers.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

post #3 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
cjseipp
1997 FSJ Cherokee 

I have it disassembled and have access to the female connectors on the wires.

A Sawzall and a 3 pound sledge got it apart....just joking......used some jewelers screwdrivers to release the holding clip on the thin blue plate and then slid the pin holder out of the connector body
post #4 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 04:05 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseipp View Post
A Sawzall and a 3 pound sledge got it apart....just joking......
Personally, I prefer a crow bar and hack saw.

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/289...60x12009x.html
post #5 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 04:59 PM
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

May look into replacing those socket pins as well. Digikey should have a part, but it probably won't be easy to find.

93 red ZJ 190k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
post #6 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
May look into replacing those socket pins as well. Digikey should have a part, but it probably won't be easy to find.
someone on this board has sourced them already. i cant find the post
post #7 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 PM
classicmetalman

https://millerspecialtools.spx.com/D...?id=247&gid=15

Another choice?

Robert
93 Laredo 4.0
96 Limited 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
post #8 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
cjseipp
1997 FSJ Cherokee 

DIGIKEY has an extensive array of parts, but true hard to find the specific connector block
post #9 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 PM
JS97ZJ
2004 WJ 

I did the write up on that pin replacement thread, and wish that it cured the shutting down problem but it didn't.
It worked for the entire summer without a hitch and then as soon as the weather got cold....
I've got mine working with the ty-wraps, and have narrowed it down to the PCM. Crushing the outer case in order to make a better connection is futile.
These repair shops that work on these PCMs can't reproduce the faults with these units on their nice comfortable work benches. They should put them in a freezer then test them.
I've got my original PCM torn down to the circuit board and I'm working on the fix but if yours is definitely the connector heres all the info.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...downs-1089895/

P.S. I still have 20 extra pins and an extra extraction tool if any one is interested.
post #10 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 PM
dundee23
1996 ZJ 

i had mine runing good for bout 2 weeks , i'm going to buy a new pcm and save the oringinal for experiments. i get so pissed with this thing sometimes bout to say screw it all and drop a carburetor engine and say the hell with all this computer crap. lol why cant it just be simple.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 PM
JS97ZJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee23 View Post
i had mine runing good for bout 2 weeks , i'm going to buy a new pcm and save the oringinal for experiments.
If you do keep in touch, I have a bunch of info on removing and replacing the potting solution in these units.
Right now I've pretty much have it figured out that the soldering points on the connectors is causing the problem but have one other problem on the main board.
The piece I've pointed to is a crystal frequency oscillator, but the #s on the component can't be cross reference for a replacement part. The potting solution (expansion and contraction due to cold and heat) has literally pulled this piece apart and destroyed the crystal inside so the frequency can't measured so I can locate a replacement. They only cost about $3.
So if you take yours apart please check if the #s are different and in what direction the piece is mounted to the board.
I'm definitely going to fix this SOB!!!!!
100_2053.jpg

P.S. I've got to learn how to resize this.............
post #12 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
cjseipp
1997 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks ....enjoy your tenacity....very helpful links in your posts.....
Picasa is a free photo editing software by Google.....

Here is the link:
http://picasa.google.com/#utm_campai...mage%20resizer

Or send me the image at cjseipp@gmail.com and I'll resize it for you
post #13 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 AM
dundee23
1996 ZJ 

i will keep checking in on this link for some tips and more ideas, it would be awesome to get this issue fixed. are people having the same issue out of the new pcm's too?
post #14 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 07:06 AM
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

mine still works great. its only 3 months old though. if it goes bad, ive got a lifetime warranty........
post #15 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 AM
JS97ZJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseipp View Post
Thanks ....enjoy your tenacity....very helpful links in your posts.....
Picasa is a free photo editing software by Google.....

Here is the link:
http://picasa.google.com/#utm_campai...mage%20resizer

Or send me the image at cjseipp@gmail.com and I'll resize it for you
I just built a system for my daughter,
Intel i7 960 4core, 3 TB HD, 23" LED monitor, 8 GB mem., Blue ray burner, DVD CD R/W, Sb card reader, radeon 9something 1gig graphics board, heavy duty mid-size case w/pretty lights, a heat sink that looks like I could use it as a radiator for my Jeep. All from Newegg. com. Then her boy friend came over and over clocked it, and I can't even resize a picture!!!!!!
Thanks for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee23 View Post
i will keep checking in on this link for some tips and more ideas, it would be awesome to get this issue fixed. are people having the same issue out of the new pcm's too?
There no such thing as new PCM replacements unless you upgrade to one of those expensive programmable type.
Even the replacement type from the stealership is a rebuilt. (whatever that means) that's why I'm looking into repairing myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTCornewell View Post
mine still works great. its only 3 months old though. if it goes bad, Ive got a lifetime warranty........
I think that the warranty is going to come in very handy, but for your sake I hope not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.