Passenger windows Don't work ?????????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Passenger windows Don't work ??????????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
thomas665

Passenger windows Don't work ??????????

I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. My problem is the whole left side of the jeep windows work fine. The passenger side dont, I have change both side window switches and nothing changes. So I just got curious and put the master window switch from the driver side on the passenger window, and then the passenger side would work and the driver wouldn't. Please help

thomas665 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
skunked_once
1997 ZJ 

Check out this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n...my-zj-1026958/
skunked_once is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Disconnect the rear switch and see if the front works then. Mine did the dame thing so the PO took out the rear switch so the front would work.

I decided to tinker one day, the switch rattled ao I took it apart.
There are two wide-V shaped pieces of metal. They had come loose so I put them back on their pegs and the switch rocked back/forth smooth and no rattle.

To this day it still works

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
thomas665

Re:

ok here is whats going on, The driver side windows work with the master switch but not passenger side. The passenger side acts as if it is all dead but it is not. I have change passenger side switches and it still doesn't work..
Unread 05-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

There is an interruption in the circuit somewhere.

Check for broken wires as stated above.

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
thomas665

Re:

I used a test light and all switches have power why is the driver side the only one working
Unread 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
thomas665

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas665 View Post
I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. My problem is the whole left side of the jeep windows work fine. The passenger side dont, I have change both side window switches and nothing changes. So I just got curious and put the master window switch from the driver side on the passenger window, and then the passenger side would work and the driver wouldn't. Please help
Both sides have power wiring good
Unread 05-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Both grounds for the front and rear door windows are secured with a screw to the floor pan just in back of the front passenger seat. Check to see if the grounds are good.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
thomas665

Re:

Ok I have check both grounds the one under the driver seat and the one under the passenger seat. They checked out ok. So the passenger windows still don't work, and my dash doesn't come on only the abs light.
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #10
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I don't know how much electrical back ground you have, because your into a section of the electronics part of this beast that can get a little complicated without a diagram.

The two things that these two circuits have in common is where they recieve their power source from, and a communications link (body control module).

Fuse #11 in the PDC (under the hood) supplies power to circuit breaker #2 (power windows), fuse #7 (instrument illumination, and BCM, which controls communications for the power windows as well as the signals for the dash indicator lights to turn on.) CB2 and fuse #7 is located in the Junction Block (passenger kick panel) ABS light runs on it's own circuit.

If fuses and circuit breaker check out they might not be power related.

The right side windows can be controlled from the drivers side via the BCM but both right front and right rear are linked together thru the right front passenger window module located in the front passenger door. Check the twelve pin connector at the module, check the gray connector at the door jam, check the connectors to the BCM (located under the dash to the left of the steering columb it has mass of connectors going to it) there should be 2 white connectors going to it, one of them may be your bad boy. And check the black connector on the left front door jam. Good luck!

The dash light connector is plugged directly into the back of the instrument panel and can only be accessed by removing the surrounding bezels removing the 4 screws and pulling the panel out, the plug will remain inside the dash.
pin #1&2 is ground, pin #3 is power from fuse 7 , pin #4&5 is ABS light, pin #6&7 is turn signal, pin #8&9 communication links to the PCM, Air Bag Module, and BCM, pin #10 is dash illumination lights from the BCM.

Try some of that and get back to us.
Unread 05-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #11
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

Unread 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
thomas665

Re:

Quick Question could a bad electric door lock(s) cause my passenger windows not to work. I have done everything mentioned above and everything checks out ok. I have even went as far changing out the harness under the dash.
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

If your able to operate the passenger side windows with the drivers side switch connected to the pass. side, would make me think that the pass. door module was bad. I don't believe the BCM is wired in such away that you can operate the driver's side with the switches reversed.
What's interesting is the dash lights aren't working either that would cause me to believe that the two problems might be steming from the BCM.
The locks also get their signals though the CCD bus (data communications link) from the BCM. Maybe it might be stupid to ask, but is the window lockout switch working?
Without a service manual w/wiring diagrams and diagnostics manual and DRB you might be just throwing parts at this until it works Try getting either a garage to diagnose the cause for a few bucks or borrow a DRB from buddy.
You also never said if the PCM was throwing any codes.
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
thomas665

Re

I have change the pass. side switch on both the front and rear. I have change out the bus and I get the same resaults. the whole right side is acting as if it is dead, but i have used a test light to check for power and both windows are getting power. I have a wiring diagram for the jeep and I have used it to check all grounds and there all secure. and the pcm is not throwing any codes at all.
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
mfarmer
2004 WJ 

I don't know if the circuits are the same but I had a very similar problem on my 04 wj where the large black ground wire was broke inside the rubber that goes between the door and the body on the driver side. The driver control would work but none of the controls on the other side of the vehicle would work. Apparently a common problem on the wj.
mfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.