Parsatic Drain Fuse 8 in Power Dist. Center? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Parsatic Drain Fuse 8 in Power Dist. Center?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 11-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
moneyinc
1996 ZJ 

Parsatic Drain Fuse 8 in Power Dist. Center?

Hello all,

Recently got a new batter to replace dead one (old and tested bad cell). Got the new battery hookup up and the zj started right up. A few days later (after sitting a weekend) the battery is dead. Charged the battery up and did a parasitic draw test (after letting it sit for 25 minutes) and I'm showing a .750 draw (10A scale). Been pulling fuses (pulled #7 instrument cluser and no change) to no avail until I pulled Fuse#8 in the Power Dist. Center and the draw dropped to .240. I put the fuse back in and it's back to the .750 draw. The manual says that fuse is:

Ignition switch, engine starter motor relay, power train control module, park/neutral position switch.

Does anyone have experience with this type of draw? Also, @ .240 from what I've read, that is still too high? Out of daylight now so it's time to research more. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

moneyinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
moneyinc
1996 ZJ 

update

Plugged fuse 8 back in in the power dist. center and the draw is back up to .760. While that fuse was in, I pulled fuse #2 in the passenger side floor panel (cigar lighter) and the draw dropped to .604. The draw did not drop below the level (.240) when both fuses were disconnected.
Unread 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
moneyinc
1996 ZJ 

another update

So I've eliminated my parasitic draw by removing both fuse #11 and fuse#8 from the Power Distribution Center. The draw was brought down to .104 after removing fuse#11 and drops down to almost nothing. Getting closer....

Now just got to find the root cause of all of this....

Last edited by moneyinc; 11-11-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
moneyinc
1996 ZJ 

once again...

Alright. So I've pulled the circuit breaker in cavity k in the fuse box (driver/passenger door modules) and this is the culprit behind the 650 Ma drain coming from fuse 11 in the Power Distribution Center. Haven't had any problems with the door locks not working (and they lock automatically after I start driving) so I'm not sure why this would be causing a drain? Also, are there any negative effects of operating with this circuit taken out? (No worries about doors being locked around here).

Still working on what is causing the extra 50-70 draw from fuse 8 in the PDC...

Thanks for any insight!
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Those kind of draws can be tough to nail down, especially when draws go into modules and nobody knows whats going on inside a module. Since you are pulling fuses to narrow down the draw, you might start unplugging the loads on the fused circuits and see if you can find the actual component thats causing the draw. Generally anything over 50mA is considered excessive.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
Darintbr549

Older doges had strange feed back on some cars and not others this cold be hard to find. Id cheek the grounds first. Then I cheek for bad wires before
I bypassed things. No real answers I know but theres a bump back up the page.
Stock tires
Darintbr549 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
KristineEckley
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

I am having the same issue with #11 in the PDC, as well as #7, which is the blower motor. The heater quit working a few months ago and after replacing everything except all the wires I had to hard wire it to the fuse panel inside. Not sure if I can simply pull that fuse in the PDC but I will use your post to try and figure out the problem with #11. Thanks so much it has been driving me crazy!!
KristineEckley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.