Parking brake won't hold in drive but holds strong in reverse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Parking brake won't hold in drive but holds strong in reverse

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
APD
1998 ZJ 

Parking brake won't hold in drive but holds strong in reverse

does anyone have a fix for this situation? i've replaced the pads and took an inch and a half out of the cable forward of the tension rod but still can't get it to hold. the star adjustments are pretty tight since it was a tight fit getting the rotor back on. i can pretty much lock up the rears at any speed in reverse with the ebrake but in drive i have very little response at idle, which means i have already failed my safety inspection. any thoughts on a fix or do i just need to search harder for an inspection shop that will pass me.

thanks in advance

APD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
sparkeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Your parking brake is to hold the jeep in NEUTRAL or PARK. Not for Drive or Reverse.
Toronto, ON, Canada
sparkeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
APD
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeep View Post
Your parking brake is to hold the jeep in NEUTRAL or PARK. Not for Drive or Reverse.
i agree but tell that to the state inspections folks. their expectation is for it to hold at idle or up to 1200rpm's, whichever comes first on your individual vehicle.
Unread 06-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

"Burn it in" - I had to do this last week after replacing the shoes.

Bring the Jeep up to about 10mph, and carefully pull the handle to heat it up. You might have to do this a couple times. Make sure you let it cool for about 50-10 minutes after each warmup.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Check the brake actuator arms. The cable hooks onto a two-piece metal arm that "scissors" when tension is applied to the cable. The two pieces are connected by a pin-hole joint that has a habit of rusting solid with age and caused the exact same symptom in my Jeep (e-brake only working in reverse). I hammered mine until they unfroze enough to remove from the brake assembly and then wire-wheeled them back into rust-free condition, e-brake problem solved. You may need to readjust your e-brakes afterwards.
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Make sure the star wheel adjuster has not been installed backwards.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
MudPit
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
i agree but tell that to the state inspections folks. their expectation is for it to hold at idle or up to 1200rpm's, whichever comes first on your individual vehicle.
Just going to say that!

I have had this issue too, but the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong. I think I'll try the above.
Unread 06-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
APD
1998 ZJ 

catsplat,

my drivers side was rusted solid. i used some pb break and a standard screw driver to split the two apart. after about 30 min of playing with it i got it free and the pads back on. the next time i can get the kid to take a nap i'll be out there putting the rest together and testing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
Make sure the star wheel adjuster has not been installed backwards.
this maybe a dumb question but how do you know if there on backwards and what would this cause? i was assuming that as long as i knew which way to turn the the star i'd be ok.

thanks guys
Unread 06-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

If you can't see it through the adjustment hole in the backing plate, you have it backwards.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
APD
1998 ZJ 

i'm having a real hard time getting the rotor back on over the new ebrake pads. i it all looks lined up right until you start to slide on the rotor and then it becomes obvious that something is off. any tips for lining them up a little better?
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
shocklee17
1998 ZJ 

spin the adjustment down screw to allow for more play. works the same as any drum brake. When you put new ones on you have to adjust for the added thinkness of the new shoes. You should have done that before you put it all back together then the rotors would slide right on then you could adjust it tight.
shocklee17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
If your parking brake hold the Jeep in "N" on a slope it's good,like stated not ment to hold while in gear and the way it is ment to work right from the factory.Just remember the parking brake is smaller then the rear brakes on a Goe Metro,will be very easy for a Jeep to over power in gear.

Oh and why it hold better when trying "R" is how the actuator pushes on the shoes,no way to change that.
Unread 06-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
APD
1998 ZJ 

the adjuster was backed all the way off but i found my issue. i had both pads seated on the rib of the dust shield, which held them off by 1/4". i've fiddled with this stuff for days now and finally got it together. i'll test drive it later and see but i'm feeling good about it.

thanks for the help
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
steelstr45
2000 WJ 

I think you need a new inspection station. How can they have such a retarded rule? Every car produces different torque at 1200rpm, so how can they expect a e-brake, which is designed for neutral, to hold on every car?
steelstr45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
APD
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstr45 View Post
I think you need a new inspection station. How can they have such a retarded rule? Every car produces different torque at 1200rpm, so how can they expect a e-brake, which is designed for neutral, to hold on every car?
agreed but then again we are lovingly called utards here in the beehive state.

as of an hour ago i just passed inspection. the salt on the roads here really does a number on metal. i'll be lubing up those cams/actuators every time i pull the rotors.

thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.