"Park" won't engage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > "Park" won't engage

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
htcrkjak
1998 ZJ 

"Park" won't engage

When my '98 ZJ is in Park, it tends to move. Park doesn't fully engage. Any ideas?
Thanks

htcrkjak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

is the gear shifter adjusted underneath on the driver side of the trans? dont know much about park not engaging fully tho

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
FAlfani81
1993 ZJ 

Are you missing your front drive shaft?
FAlfani81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
ajmorell

Whether or not the front driveshaft is there wouldn't matter even if he had a 249. The 96+ don't roll w/out it like the 93-95 do. I'm wondering if the parking pawl is broken.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
FAlfani81
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
Whether or not the front driveshaft is there wouldn't matter even if he had a 249. The 96+ don't roll w/out it like the 93-95 do. I'm wondering if the parking pawl is broken.
Didn't know that! Good to know
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
95cherokee318
1995 ZJ 

the VC will allow it to roll if its bad. and it probably is lol ive seen this happen not just on mine when it had the 249, but a friends that was a 98 zj and it was the VC.
my advise... do the 242 or the 231 swap, youll like either one more.
95cherokee318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

There is a tsb in the FAQ about the shifter detent also.
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
htcrkjak
1998 ZJ 

Vc?

I am a bit ignorant. What is a VC.
htcrkjak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
ajmorell

viscous coupler, it's part of the 249 transfer case
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cherokee318 View Post
the VC will allow it to roll if its bad. and it probably is lol ive seen this happen not just on mine when it had the 249, but a friends that was a 98 zj and it was the VC.
I honestly don't see how that's possible. VCs fail in the "locked" mode and are essentially in 4PT. How would that allow the vehicle to roll with the parking pawl engaged?
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cherokee318 View Post
doesn't work like that at all actually

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
FAlfani81
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat

I honestly don't see how that's possible. VCs fail in the "locked" mode and are essentially in 4PT. How would that allow the vehicle to roll with the parking pawl engaged?
When mine went bad it would only turn "4PT" when it was warmed up. You could literally hear it unbind as it cooled down with random *BUUNG* sounds. After I pulled the driveshaft it would stay put when parked until it cooled down.
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
95cherokee318
1995 ZJ 

it will roll, it depends on what happens internally to the VC, you could actually turn mine by hand when i took it out, it was ridiculous....
even when the pawl is locked in, the power is distributed through the transfer case via the VC, and if the VC actually somehow had a hole in it that wouldnt allow the fluid to build pressure, your jeep wouldnt move at all, or very little.
I'm not trying to disprove anyone, these viscous couplings were a mistake made by new process gear. nice when their new, but worthless when they go, and they dont really last up to par for our jeeps, the symtoms of a failed VC vary, but are always doing the same things, im so glad i swapped my transfer case lol
95cherokee318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAlfani81 View Post
When mine went bad it would only turn "4PT" when it was warmed up. You could literally hear it unbind as it cooled down with random *BUUNG* sounds. After I pulled the driveshaft it would stay put when parked until it cooled down.
Precisely, having the removed front drive shaft was what caused it to roll, not the state of the VC. Any '93-'95 249 will roll in Park with the front DS removed.
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAlfani81 View Post
93-95 will roll no matter if it's good or bad when you pull a shaft, axle or drive. 96+ that problem was corrected and it can't roll in park with the rear shaft in.
It only fails one way, bound up when heated.
The reason the early ones fail so regularly is because they are in use 100% of the time. The later ones, and the way Subaru and other manufacturers use them, last twice as long because they aren't putting all the driveline power through them.

The op does NOT have a case that will allow it to roll in park unless someone put an early one in to spite him.
Let's get back on topic.
Also, how fast if it rolling? Creeping, like it's in neutral? what?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.