Panel Lights Flash When Headlight Switch Is In Auto - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Panel Lights Flash When Headlight Switch Is In Auto

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 12-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
bandanaboyz
1998 ZJ 

Panel Lights Flash When Headlight Switch Is In Auto

THE JEEP
1998 5.9L ZJ

PROBLEM
When my headlight switch is in the auto position, the instrument panel lights do not light up; headlights work fine. If I engage the turn signal (left or right) while in auto mode the lights all flash. If I am driving and touch the brake, the lights all flash. WTH! It's like a circus.

Also, the fog lights do not turn on while in the auto mode when you press the button).

REPLACED
I tried a new headlight lamp switch and the problem is still there. I was going to try a new turn signal switch tomorrow.

Has any person experience this before? If so, what did you do to fix the problem? Any suggestions?

bandanaboyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
tpirocz
1997 ZJ 

my 97 does this too
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

The darkness sensor that controls the headlights when set to auto has gone out. Replace it and you should be good.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Just don't use auto. Lol. Is it that hard to turn the switch?

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
bandanaboyz
1998 ZJ 

Switch turns fine. I even tried a NIB headlight lamp switch and the problem was not resolved. I just want to get all those annoying things that stopped working ... working again.
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
bandanaboyz
1998 ZJ 

I just realized that my daytime running lights do not come on. Can my problem be all related to the DTRL module?
Unread 01-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
bandanaboyz
1998 ZJ 

I changed the DTR module and it did not resolve the problem. I tried a new Headlight switch and it did not solve the problem. Do we know for sure it's the darkenss sensor? My headlights come on at night in the auto mode, just the dash flickers when foot is on brake or signal is on.

Anyone have a part number for the darkness sensor? Is this the real problem? Is it a sentinel module or daylight sentinel sensor or solar sensor ... someone out there has to have a solution to this crazy problem. BTW, my headlights DO NOT flicker like in some other posts.
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I looked up the section that controls the auto sensing head lights, dimmer curcuit, fog lamps, interior warning system etc..etc...,and it all leads back to the B.C.M. (Body Control Module) The BCM is located just under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. There are many connectors going to this module, hopefully one might be loose.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

The Auto lights switch is known for developing solder cracks.
Do a search for "headlight switch solder" and you will find a very recent write up with lots of pictures of a tear down and re-soldering of the auto headlight switch.
It is a very informative write up for a very common problem.

Edit..
I found it for you.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-heavy-702703/
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
bandanaboyz
1998 ZJ 

I am going to solder the Headlight Switch today and see what happens. Then I am going to the dealer to locate a good wiring diagram.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.