panel lamp driver voltage range? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > panel lamp driver voltage range?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 03-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

panel lamp driver voltage range?

Anyone know the panel lamp driver voltage range?

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

IDK the voltage, but I know this; on the ZJs with a BCM, it's pulse-width modulated.

I'm going to install a VIC today so I'll put a meter on the ash tray light. It is on the same circuit as the inst lights.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Ok, take me to school on that one. I think the WJ heater or radiator fan is pulse width modulated. I take that to mean that rather than a constant voltage it is pulsed at varying band widths to maintain speed, light intensity. I assume its a more definitive way of fine tuning output? IDK.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

i have no idea why they would modulate a lamp voltage, but it must be VHF because the meter reads battery voltage on the orange wire to the lighter halo.
Unread 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Hey battery volts is battery volts. Thanks my friend! Did the Vic work?

Unread 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

yes, it worked like a charm. And it exhibited behavior I never noticed on the first one. when i press a button with the key off, it shows the time and date for a few seconds. I swear my old one didnt do that.
Unread 03-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

OK here comes the freaky part. I spent pretty much the whole day cleaning mine,inside and out. I was finally about done and was using a plastic screen wipe to clean the VIC screen and pushed a button while doing it. It did the same thing and I had never seen that before either,lol. Didn't know Chrysler had a subliminal function included.

Unread 03-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

i guess they thought you may be sitting somewhere without your keys and need to know the time and date.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.