Pan Evac - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Pan Evac

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread Today, 02:01 PM   #1
variable
1993 ZJ 

Pan Evac

Was poking around online - not working like I should be - and was reading about PCV valves (mines very noisy) and oil catch cans etc. etc. and came across some info on various crank case ventilation systems and ideas.

This sort of came about because of the noisy PCV and the growing amount of oil in my DIY home depot air compressor filter catch can (saw that somewhere around here) and I started thinking about better solutions that would alleviate oil being dumped back into the intake while still maintaining crank case vacuum as well as CA smog crapola etc. etc.

If you've never heard of a Pan Evac, basically (and this really is the extent of my knowledge of the 'system' as well) its just a set of hoses running from the valve covers to the exhaust in such a way that the exhaust flow draws the air out of the crank case rather than the air intake doing it. There seems to be a lot of racing applications for this kind of thing and I've read (and it makes sense) that recirculating the oil back into the engine can be problematic as some of what's coming out is water vapor which can end up in the oil etc. etc. (originally was thinking of doing this, but changed my mind after reading that).

Anyway, I was curious if anyone's installed something like this in their Jeep (I've got the 5.2l v8)? I imagine that unless you were eeking out every bit of power you could from the engine, that performance wise the gain would probably be negligible, but I would think that it would at least help keep the intake manifold from becoming such a mess (or at least rule out blowby as the source of your problem ) It'd be nice not to have to think about emptying the catch can (or relying on my crap memory...)

I'm also very curious what (if any) effect this would have on smog. I couldn't find any information about Pan Evac and smog. I would think that it would be frowned on as you're not 'combusting' the gasses - though I would imagine that the exhaust gas being as hot as it is might burn it anyway and the result might be the same?

I picked up a used engine to replace the one I've got (bad compression, leaky valves, figured this would be cheaper and not leave me without a car for as long) and have been investigating things to do to keep it in good shape considering how poorly the previous owners kept this one...

Unread Today, 02:22 PM   #2
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

You'd probably be disappointed with it. Those style extractors don't work particularly well with exhaust manifolds and full exhaust with cat and muffler. They work very well with headers since the exhaust pulse is very sharp and the low pressure area after the slug is pretty strong. You will also lose a surprising amount of oil through the system so you will need to top it off often. All that oil is going to murder your cat and oxygen sensors and will probably make you fail any kind of tail pipe sniffer smog test.

They are really designed for drag racing. 1/4 mile at a time.

If you want awesome crankcase evacuation you can look into one of the vacuum pump setups. Fitting it into the front belt drive would be tricky but probably possible. You'd have to run the exhaust through a catch can to recover the oil but they make automatic drains to put it back in the motor I believe. All that and you'll gain 3-5 hp.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 03:31 PM   #3
variable
1993 ZJ 

Already exceeded my motivation... lol But that's good to know. I had a feeling it'd do a number on the cat, hadn't really thought about the O2 sensor, but makes sense.

Oh well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.