Painting your Grille? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Painting your Grille?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Painting your Grille?

Has anyone here painted their grille? I've seen a few guys plasti-dip it and so I went ahead and did that myself. After about two weeks it started to peel. I believe it's from heat/wind along with the stupid chrome heat shrink (or whatever that crap is) that makes it so nothing can stick.

My question is, has anyone pulled that chrome stuff off? It looks like a film to me because I can see a few bubbles in mine. If I pull it off can I paint directly onto the grille beneath it? Will the paint stick and last?

If I were to paint it I would use rustoleum automotive primer (flat black) and then paint over it with rustoleum brand black paint.

JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i painted my ZJ like a wk2 trailhawk. did the grill grey with red mesh inserts. ill try to remember to get a picture tomorrow
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
i painted my ZJ like a wk2 trailhawk. did the grill grey with red mesh inserts. ill try to remember to get a picture tomorrow
Did you paint right on top of the chrome crap? It's so slick I'd be interested to know how you got the paint to stick?
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCrabtree View Post
Did you paint right on top of the chrome crap? It's so slick I'd be interested to know how you got the paint to stick?
no chrome on mine, its a limited so the grill was body color. isnt the chrome fake anyway? wont it just peel off?
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Painted mine with duplicolor flat black for bumpers & trim..
All i did was wipe the chrome and sprayed right over top of it...it was pretty cold outside that day with snow still on the ground...
Turned out great, no peeling at all...
angry_trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
no chrome on mine, its a limited so the grill was body color. isnt the chrome fake anyway? wont it just peel off?
That's one of the things I asked in the original post. It is fake, it's POS Plastic with some chrome wrap **** on top. I believe I can just peel it off but I'm not sure what's underneath (A bit scared to look to be honest).
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_trucker View Post
Painted mine with duplicolor flat black for bumpers & trim..
All i did was wipe the chrome and sprayed right over top of it...it was pretty cold outside that day with snow still on the ground...
Turned out great, no peeling at all...
Wipe the chrome as in wipe it with a cleaning/prepping solution like mineral oil and then washed it off (prepped it for paint)?
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

That chrome is that plated crap. Buff it off now or it will peel off later
bigb229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

There is no such thing as chrome plastic.....hell even twenty year old steel has trouble holding on to its chrome
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

The Mylar (chrome) film isn't easy to remove, it's bonded to the grill with a very strong adhesive.

The best way I've found to make paint adhere is to scuff the surface with a Scotch Brite pad (or fine sandpaper) to dull the surface, then clean with mineral spirits, not mineral oil.

With paint, prime, then topcoat. I've never used plasti dip on "chromed" plastic before, so I don't know if priming is necessary with it or not. With spray on bedliner a primer coat gives better adhesion, so if it was me I would prime first.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #11
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

Ha....his gc is at least 15 years old... Show me plasti chrome that holds up to a paint stripping wheel after 15 years.
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

Nvm. It's 20 years old. That Mylar is dying to come off
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensnelling View Post
The Mylar (chrome) film isn't easy to remove, it's bonded to the grill with a very strong adhesive.

The best way I've found to make paint adhere is to scuff the surface with a Scotch Brite pad (or fine sandpaper) to dull the surface, then clean with mineral spirits, not mineral oil.

With paint, prime, then topcoat. I've never used plasti dip on "chromed" plastic before, so I don't know if priming is necessary with it or not. With spray on bedliner a primer coat gives better adhesion, so if it was me I would prime first.

Ken
Thanks. I mean't to say mineral spirits. I'm not going to use plasti dip on something that I want to last for a long time. I only plasti-dipped it in the first place because I wanted to see what it looked like before I made it permanent

Sounds like its not too hard to get some paint to adhere. I'll see if I can convince my girlfriend to sit outside with me this weekend and "tan" so I can do some painting
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
jetjr91
1995 ZJ 

I peeled of the chrome before painting my grille.

It had bubbles as you mentioned, I started there. Peeled from bubble first then soaked in brake fluid(I'm sure other chemicals work) made it easier to peel off. After all the chrome was off I washed it, sanded it, washed it again, let it dry and then painted it.
jetjr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjr91
I peeled of the chrome before painting my grille.

It had bubbles as you mentioned, I started there. Peeled from bubble first then soaked in brake fluid(I'm sure other chemicals work) made it easier to peel off. After all the chrome was off I washed it, sanded it, washed it again, let it dry and then painted it.
I think I'll try to just scuff it up and make sure I let the primer really stick and dry and hope that works. Pulling off all off the wrap would not be on the top of my list of things that I want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.