Painting wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Painting wheels

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
trailblazr81
1996 ZJ 

Painting wheels

Just wondering who here has painted their wheels. What paint did you use? What prep you did? And how they are holding up? Im thinking f painting my stock clear coated wheels a satin black. But would hate to have them chipping and flaking. I have this style wheel: http://www.wheelcollision.com/wccpix/9014grey.jpg

Unread 01-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
jakemandinga
1994 ZJ 

I used some rustoleum automotive primer and rustoleum semi gloss(same as satin). All i did was wash the rims let it dry good, hit it with a few coats of primer. I did a coat on one and then went to the next and so on all the way around. Then did about 4 coats of paint in the same way and it turned out great, no chipping or flaking so far. I had the stock wheels with the clear coat to.
jakemandinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
MCHJeep
1999 WJ 

I have had great success with truck bedliner spray bomb made by Dupli-Color. It is very durable and easy to apply. Its a nice low gloss textured finish. Clean the wheels thoroughly with acetone or lacquer thin. Even a light sanding will help with adhesion. The textured paint will hide any minor flaws.
that's my suggestion
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
trailblazr81
1996 ZJ 

Hmmm.... And one would think the spray bedliner would resist chipping better. Wonder if it would also work on the plastic bumpers and sides.
Unread 01-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/how-paint-your-wheels-write-up-591643/

Here ya go, and some pics.

WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
HookEm
2001 WJ 

I'm in love with that style wheel, looks even better with the black, nice job.

FS: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/various-things-wj-1626297/
HookEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
straight-pipe
2007 JK Wrangler 

here is a link to some pics http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...l#post11673927
I lightly sandblasted the original rims to etch then I sanded the rim edge smoother with a 220 grit and masked that off and primed the rims with a black epoxy primer then hit two coats of single stage polyurethane black then unmasked the rim edge then I hit two coats of urethane over everything to keep the bare aluminum fresh looking. I also balaced it so that my wheel weights are in the inside. New lug nuts and voila! looks aftermarket.
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
elf517
1998 ZJ 

Jeep withdrawl?

So i dropped my zj off at the body shop today to get my hood fixed. The gave me 96 chrysler cirrus xli as a loaner. Every where I drive I feel less rugged and strippedof all my pride without my zj. Can any one else relate?
elf517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
VolcomPunk
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf517 View Post
So i dropped my zj off at the body shop today to get my hood fixed. The gave me 96 chrysler cirrus xli as a loaner. Every where I drive I feel less rugged and strippedof all my pride without my zj. Can any one else relate?
i know the feeling...with me though i have my jeep sitting in the driveway and i cant legally drive it right this moment...it kills me every time i walk by it and drive it
Green Jeep #337
WakeUpNow
R.I.P. Ratmonkey...Your now wheelin with the angels
VolcomPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
sickboy774
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazr81 View Post
Hmmm.... And one would think the spray bedliner would resist chipping better. Wonder if it would also work on the plastic bumpers and sides.
A guy I know did just that and it looks nice. I will try to shoot a pic and post it next time I see it. I believe he said he used the dupli-color bed liner spray.

96 ZJ Laredo, all stock, 4.0, auto, 4x4 & 96 ZJ Limited, all stock 5.2, auto, 4x4 242 swapped in
sickboy774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Straightpipe...

Love what you did with your jeep!
The before picture looks almost exactly like mine, except my 93's got the stock running boards.
That second picture is what I want it to look like!

How did you do your rims? Do you have to take the tires off the rim to paint them? Or is it just a lot of taping?

I like the pics of Whiteout's rims. I was thinking about redoing mine silver, but now that I've seen the complete black look, I'm thinking of doing that.
Mediokrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #12
1Dirtymudder
1994 ZJ 

Just prep them well and rattle can 'em with flat black. It never shows brake dust and if you off road with it, your wheels get trashed anyhow. Just grab the can and touch 'em up

Yeah, I'm putting bigger tires on soon.
1Dirtymudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemandinga View Post
I used some rustoleum automotive primer and rustoleum semi gloss(same as satin). All i did was wash the rims let it dry good, hit it with a few coats of primer. I did a coat on one and then went to the next and so on all the way around. Then did about 4 coats of paint in the same way and it turned out great, no chipping or flaking so far. I had the stock wheels with the clear coat to.
semigloss and satin are not the same by any means.

scuff and clean, and then sprayed them with satin rustoleum which covers all your mistakes

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.