Painting my ZJ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Painting my ZJ!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
gingerbreadman1
1995 ZJ 

Painting my ZJ!

ok so i want to paint my ZJ camo. im going to use rustoleum primer to prevent rust. but i cant figure out a good base coat. i want a gallon to use with a spray gun instead of spray painting the whole thing. i was thinking the deep forest green but i cant find it or anything close in ultra flat/flat finish. im thinking khaki as well. i would love some opinions and if you know where to get paint please provide the link. thank you

gingerbreadman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

try plasti dip. mine is matte black but i think i might peel it and redo. but when i redo it im going to use plasti-dip primer so that its a bit more permanent. i also didnt do a very good prep job...
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
BCrawford64
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRoxxah View Post
try plasti dip. mine is matte black but i think i might peel it and redo. but when i redo it im going to use plasti-dip primer so that its a bit more permanent. i also didnt do a very good prep job...
If his/her paint is chipped and scratched it's better to just give it a good sand down, minor body work, and respray. Plasti dip over chips and other junk will flaw the finish.
BCrawford64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
JackedLaredo
1994 ZJ 

I'm also considering painting my ZJ as well. I've seen a lot of great results on Jeeps by rolling on rustoleum/acetone with 4" rollers. Do very good and thorough prep work, a good layer of primer, then roll on a lot of light coats of the rustoleum.
JackedLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1 View Post
ok so i want to paint my ZJ camo. im going to use rustoleum primer to prevent rust. but i cant figure out a good base coat. i want a gallon to use with a spray gun instead of spray painting the whole thing. i was thinking the deep forest green but i cant find it or anything close in ultra flat/flat finish. im thinking khaki as well. i would love some opinions and if you know where to get paint please provide the link. thank you
I'v got a gallon of semi gloss Olive Drab if your interested.. i'm about 1/2 hour or so away from Wilmington.

PM if interested..
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

My clear coat was peeling horribly and the og green paint was badly faded. I sanded the entire jeep down to the primer, and even to bare metal in many spots, then washed it well. I resprayed the entire thing with Krylon Italian olive green and then used flat black and oleander leaves to paint the camo pattern. As always, prep is the most important part.
ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedLaredo View Post
I'm also considering painting my ZJ as well. I've seen a lot of great results on Jeeps by rolling on rustoleum/acetone with 4" rollers. Do very good and thorough prep work, a good layer of primer, then roll on a lot of light coats of the rustoleum.
So people fix their oxidized paint by rolling on acetone? What?
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
hondakilla98
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Maybe to thin the paint?
5.9 Limited, RE 4" lift, RE FTB, JK take offs w/ 255/75/17 BFG MT's, 1.25" wheel adapters, ARB Bumper, Superwinch LP10000, K&N intake, Flowmaster, custom JL & Focal stereo, 20% tint, KOR roof mount tire carrier, JCR sliders, cobra 75 wx st
hondakilla98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
BigJohn96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

The acetone is to thin the rustoleum. its rolled on as an alternative to spraying it. Pretty easy and if you do it right it'll come out like a mirror. But lots of wet sanding.

Search "rustoleum paint job" or "$50 paint job" on youtube
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
JackedLaredo
1994 ZJ 

BigJohn hit the nail on the head about the acetone and process I was referring to. I've been thinking pretty hard about this today, and I think I'm going to paint my ZJ in John Deere Green using the $50 rustoleum method. I can look VERY good; if you put in the prep work, and buff/polish it really well. I need to get a material list together.
JackedLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...manuf=Military
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Ppg
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.