Painting my Rims and changing Sneakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Painting my Rims and changing Sneakers

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Painting my Rims and changing Sneakers

Howdy everyone! So the ZJ I picked up a little over a month just passed it's NH safety inspection with flying colors

With that monkey off my back I've been running a ton of things through my mind but the one that hits me every time I step out my kitchen door is swapping over the rims and tires from my Part YJ to my ZJ. The tires on my ZJ now are 225/75R15 and the ones on my parts YJ are 30X9.5 R15. Also the ones on my ZJ now are all season "sissy" tires and the others are M+S tread.

Sooooooo, here's my question. The chrome rims are fairly rusty (see pic). If I sand them as best I can by hand to get all the crud off, can I plasti-dip these rims with decent results?

Lastly, while the tires are in pretty good shape with decent tread, good sidewalls, and they hold air and shape very well, they do have some minor weather cracking between treads.......should I be concerned (planning new tires this year anyway, these would be to hold me over for a while).

So what do you guys think, swap them over and plasti-dip the rims so I can get this thing on the trails....or just pound the pavement all summer while I save up for new tires.

Unread 03-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Those wheels will most likely need to be sandblasted before you do anything to them. As for the tires, they don't look too terrible.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
nnovickzj
1997 ZJ 

i would wire wheel the rims and they will take paint/plastidip as for your tires i wouldn't risk it maybe put them on just for off road trips
nnovickzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Maybe what I'll do is throw one on the ZJ and see how it looks. If I like it I'll wire wheel and paint the rims and run the tires for a short time while I look for new ones. 90% of my driving is done under 40mph and 75% under 30mph

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.