Painting grey cladding on ZJ laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Painting grey cladding on ZJ laredo

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
MFay52
1997 ZJ 

Painting grey cladding on ZJ laredo

What do you all recommend that can can be bought in a spray can and will not crack or chip? I really would like the look of a spray on bed liner but have my doubts that it will hold up on the plastic cladding.

MFay52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

im glad you brought this up as i am planing the same thing...i have serched and they do rhino liner /bed truck liner but i would like to know who has done this and how did it hold up being its exspensive stuff. I used some plastic spray paint to do my mirrors with good results and i do hit a lot of trees /brush with them.
paulyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

I used Krylon fusion paint for plastic when i did it and it has held up just fine. Just be sure to give it the amount of drying time that the can says. Also, when you clean you cladding use dish soap to clean them up. The last thing i did before painting mine was a final cleaning with rubbing alcohol an everything has held up well
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

sweet same stuff i used on the mirrors good to know as i have like 6 cans already
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Its all about prep. work bad prep makes bad out come. I used mineral sprits on mine so far to start to remove wax. oh mines on wj not zj but its the same. then sand finely with light sand paper. I haven't painted yet but will soon with a paint gun. when I do ill post up what I do.
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Osboy1
1998 ZJ 

I did this. I took the cladding off, and degreased and scrubbed and rinsed the hell out of it. Then I used spraycan adhesion promoter, before shooting it with primer. Finally I did two spraycoats of the rustoleoum spraycan bedliner. Did the same on the grill and bumpers, and the rear vents.

I also did my tow hitch, and D-rings, but without the adhesion promoter.

It looks great, actually. It has been about 5 months, and it hasn't faded. It sprays off clean. if I had it to do over again, I might use the roll on liner, because it gives a thicker, more textured appearance.

Pics in build thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-4-0l-1107154/

Build thread is way out of date, got a lot to add to it, but the cladding is in there for sure.
Osboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

nice jeep same color as mine i love the black headliner job u did looks good thanks for all the advice guys
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
MFay52
1997 ZJ 

Wow my jeep is that same color too and I was actually thinking of trimming the front bumper just like that. Great build thread, now I know exactly what mine would look like.
MFay52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.