Painted cladding ZJ pics - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Painted cladding ZJ pics

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEMassive SAVINGS on VISION X EVO PRIME 10 WATT LED LIGHT BANew Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit Cataly

Unread 04-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #31
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

You guys pull the callding off then paint it or paint it on thejeep

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #655[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Howieb92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #32
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Some take it off, some leave it on. If you leave it on, you just need to tape everything real good.
Unread 04-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #33
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

So what are the ones you would take off?
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #655[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 04-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #34
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

The thing is, I wouldn't and didn't take them off. There's to much of a chance of breaking the clips that hold them on. And those things are not the easiest to find (even at a dealer)
Unread 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #35
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

Ok so best thing to do is get like paint tape and cover around the clading?
Unread 04-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #36
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I'd use something like newspaper to get some more protection of areas you don't want overspray on. I'm going to see if I can get a treatment done on my cladding this weekend. If it doesn't work, I'll look at painting it. I've painted the tow hooks before just masking off the bumper and using newspaper. The thing is that paint rubs right off when you actually use the tow hooks. Not the best of looks, but at least it doesn't have that never used, just for looks, look. LOL

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #37
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Before (old Pic)

After

~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #38
NW-XJ
1998 ZJ 

Take them off, If for some reason you break a clip or two, PM me.. i have a bucket of about 40 of them (the big white strips)
Unread 04-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #39
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

It is much easier to paint them when they are off. Though you probably will break some clips.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #40
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

Haha well I are mostlikely to break a few because its just my luck... How hard is it to take off the caldings?
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #41
Jamesyoder1992
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howieb92 View Post
Haha well I are mostlikely to break a few because its just my luck... How hard is it to take off the caldings?
I just left mine on and masked everything off
Jamesyoder1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #42
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howieb92 View Post
It aint too hard, just basically lift up from the bottom and pull outward. Just do it VERY slowly and try to only break a few clips.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #43
Erbo1Kanerbo
2008 JK Wrangler 

just leave them on you can do the same job with them on its too risky to break those stupid clips i wihs i had left mine on when i did it, the front and rear bumpers will be better if you remove them and paint but for side cladding just tape it off

ZJ's: If you dont know what it is you cant afford it.
Erbo1Kanerbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #44
cdyer77
1997 ZJ 

I dont have a before shot, but I cleaned & degreased mine with scote brite pads & dentured alcohol, then taped up the doors, hood, etc and sprayed them on the car - I did two coats about 1.5 cans each coat, that was 3 years ago and its held up great. Just used Krylon flat paint.
dscf0133.jpg  
Unread 05-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #45
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

nice color thats the look im going for i like the flat look
paulyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.