Painted cladding and Kevin's sliderz installed (pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Painted cladding and Kevin's sliderz installed (pics)

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 05-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
theone13

Painted cladding and Kevin's sliderz installed (pics)

Sorry about starting so many threads recently but these two projects are finally done!! I ran into a problem that you can read about by looking at the other thread, other than that it was easy and fast to install the sliderz. To finish the sliderz I coated the top and bottom with Herculiner, but paint the side with flat black paint so I wouldn't scrape the back of my leg getting out. As far as the cladding goes, I taped off the sides and just shot it right on. I did take the bumpers off to paint them though, there is a lot of the rear bumper that is inside the lift gate so I thought it would be better. Taking off the bumpers is really easy and it did make painting the bumpers easier I think. It took me 4 cans of the Duplicolor truck bed spray to cover everything but I could have bought a 5th just incase for some touch ups. Anyway without stalling anymore, here are the pics!

Here is my Jeep when I bought it only 2 months ago.

And here it is today after the install.

'95 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 4x4 : Stolen

kevinsoffroad.com
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
jeepltd4x4
1996 ZJ 

looks AWESOME , i was thinking of doing my cladding in bedliner to go with my new bumpers when they get here.

[COLOR=Black][B]MODS:[/B][/COLOR]
2 Memphis 12's, Panasonic cd player, XM radio, Removed all emblems, 3 Inch BDS suspension lift with sway bar disconnects, 31' Super Swamper TRXUS mt's on 15x10 ProComp streetlock rims, Zactacal roof rack, Trailready front and rear bumpers, Hambeck Customs carbon fiber cowl hood, Custom Magnaflow exaust, K&N air filter, and more.
jeepltd4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Looks like you drove through a black tar pit It looks pretty nice!

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Very Nice.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2005, 04:11 AM   #5
CunningLinguist

that looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dope Schemes
By all means enjoy Halo 2.5 but for those with cerebral development beyond that of a spider monkey, pick up Bioshock, you won't regret it.
CunningLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #6
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Nice!
Unread 05-07-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
askoop
2000 WJ 

Got any close ups of the cladding painted? How textured does the bedliner come out?

Looks good
WTB: 1 Timberline wheel or a set of JK steelies
askoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
trekbuddy

That does look awesome! I need to do that to mine ASAP. I know that I asked this on the other "painting cladding" thread but how do you guys feel about the roll on bedliner? I was just thinking for ease of application and stuff.
Unread 05-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
theone13

askoop - The duplicolor spray actually came out more texturized than I thought it would. I'm very happy with it. It's like sand paper. While installing the sliderz my hand rubbed against it after slipping and it was textured enough to take skin off. Now I'll just have to see how durable it is when I take it offroading and wash it and stuff.

trek - I used herculiner for the sliderz and it came out very rough and texturized. It's also very thick. If you were going to apply this to all your cladding I might suggest that you brush it all on to give you a slightly less textured surface, but it's up to you. Also it takes a good 2 hours to dry and it takes two coats, so as far as easy of application I think spraying anything on would be easier.

kevinsoffroad.com
Unread 05-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
theone13

I don't know if you can actually tell how much texture there is from these pics, but here are a few close ups.

kevinsoffroad.com
Unread 05-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #11
CunningLinguist

the finish is better than krylon T&G!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dope Schemes
By all means enjoy Halo 2.5 but for those with cerebral development beyond that of a spider monkey, pick up Bioshock, you won't regret it.
CunningLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2005, 01:25 PM   #12
askoop
2000 WJ 

Thanks for those close ups, I like that look a lot! Thats what I will be using on mine when my new bumper cover gets here... Thanks again!
WTB: 1 Timberline wheel or a set of JK steelies
askoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2005, 01:29 PM   #13
theone13

Yeah no prob. I think you'll be happy with it. It's pretty easy to make it blotchy though, just like spray paint, so take your time and do even coats and it will turn out great. Now the only question is durability which I'll find out tomorrow .

kevinsoffroad.com
Unread 05-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #14
trekbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone13
askoop - The duplicolor spray actually came out more texturized than I thought it would. I'm very happy with it. It's like sand paper. While installing the sliderz my hand rubbed against it after slipping and it was textured enough to take skin off. Now I'll just have to see how durable it is when I take it offroading and wash it and stuff.

trek - I used herculiner for the sliderz and it came out very rough and texturized. It's also very thick. If you were going to apply this to all your cladding I might suggest that you brush it all on to give you a slightly less textured surface, but it's up to you. Also it takes a good 2 hours to dry and it takes two coats, so as far as easy of application I think spraying anything on would be easier.

Thank you for the reply! The slightly less textured look is what I am trying to achieve to so I might try brushing it on but if most people are recommending spraying it on I will probably end up doing that. Your ZJ looks with that done too!

Let us know how hard it is to clean too that will help make my decision as to how textured I want mine to turn out! Thanks again!
Unread 05-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #15
theone13

Well alright update time. I just got back from my first car wash after spraying it with the duplicolor bad liner. It still looks good however there are a few thin areas. I think these areas are from where I didn't spray enough on them, the very top of the cladding where it meets the door is one of these problem areas. I think that thicker or more coats would have solved this completely. There are no marks from offroading, no scratchs, dings, or anything of that sort. So my advice to anyone considering doing this, at least 2 medium density coats, 3 would be best though and besides that enjoy the overall enhanced look of your Jeep. Good luck.

As far as my herculined steps go they were covered in mud before I had it washed. I had a free wash at local car wash place so they took it through their automated car washer and when it came out they were all clean. I think just a high pressure nossle on the end of your hose would clean it just as well.

kevinsoffroad.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.