P1763 code - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > P1763 code

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andPerformance tuning programmers @ oconee off road 706 534 9Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-07-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
notchback

P1763 code

I have a 2001 grand Cherokee. About 6 months ago I got this code and replaced the governor pressure sensor and it fixed it (only cost a little over $100) but two weeks ago it came back. A tech at the dealership told me it is probably the governor pressure solenoid but that didnít help next they said maybe the alternator didnít help either. Today I ordered the pressure sensor.

Has anyone else had this much trouble or is it just my luck.

Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited by notchback; 07-08-2005 at 03:44 AM..
notchback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2005, 01:53 AM   #2
sgarlic

There's a little wiring harness it plugs in to with a fuse on it, but it's up by the valve body so you'd have to pull the tranny pan.. which if you've done you know can be a PITA. If you do pull the pan, first check the fuse. Then, disconnect the sensor and check the wiring harness connectors. They may have gotten some crap in there when it was replaced last time and not be getting a good connection to the sensor. Then, trace the wires around the valve body to make sure they're not broken or pinched in there. Replacing the solenoid would probably be a good idea while you have the pan off as well just in case it's that.

If that doesn't shed any light on the situation, you may actually need to have them hook their diagnostic tool up to it to test it themselves. I would think it shouldn't go bad after only 6 months .. have you made any other modifications to the transmission that might have messed with the sensor, or did this just start suddenly the first time?
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2005, 03:43 AM   #3
notchback

No mods to the tranny, and both times it just started happening out of nowhere. My wife said last night, when she was on her way home the check engine light went off and it started running fine. Out of all the cars I have owned this is the first one that turns the light off without having the computer cleared.

Thanks for the advice; I will check all the connections and wires.
notchback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I get this code or something similar about twice a year. I usually end up replacing a sensor (cheaper than a new car payment), but I think that you can get away without a replacement. The next time that it happens, I plan to clear the code with my new code reader without replacing a sensor.

If you cycle the ignition a few times, the CEL will clear, and it should drive like normal. I personally think that the code is bogus in my situation. The last time that I had a CEL, it was the one that you speak of.
Unread 08-11-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
dartslca

I just got this error code for the second time on my 2004 GC. The first time it happened, I was pulling out into traffic trying to accelerate fast, and my jeep seemed like it was in neutral for about 10 seconds and the light went on. After that it ran fine. The dealership replaced the govenor sensor and 2 other things(I'd have to look back at my paperwork). It was under warranty, so I didn't care too much. This time, I was in stop and go traffic and it seemed like it just took an extra second to kick into gear once when I accelarated from a stop, but then the light when on. It has been running fine since this happened, so I wonder if it is just a hiccup. I am going to bring it to the dealership when I get a chance to see what they say, but its not under warranty anymore, so unless they are positive something is failing, I will just wait and see if it happens again.

The CEL light is supposed to turn off after 3 long trips without an error and clear the error all together after 40 trips.

Chris
dartslca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2005, 08:42 AM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

A 2004 already out of warranty? Been driving a lot I guess...Sometimes you can get dealers to fix problems that were happening during the warranty period afterwords if they didn't fix it the first go around. Give that a shot. You can disconnect the battery for a bit (15 minutes or so should be plenty) to reset the computer/CEL.

-Ryan
Unread 08-12-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
dartslca

Yea, I have a good commute. I actually brought my jeep to the dealership yesterday and they ended up replacing the govenor(free of charge seeing it was the same problem as before).
Not sure if anyone cares exactly what they replaced, but if you want to know, post and I will list all the parts that they ended up replacing for this issue.

-Chris
dartslca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2005, 04:37 AM   #8
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I just got 1762 earlier this week. I get this one or something similar when I plow into a bunch of water. Something gets wet (most likely electrical connection), and I get this code. I had to reset it a couple times. Once the ZJ was dried off later in the day, the code stayed cleared. I have driven over 700 miles since the code, and I have no problems. I think that the code is bogus. Replacing the hardware will not fix it (done that many times). Mark my words. I plan to just clear the code a couple times a year until I move on to a WK.
Unread 10-26-2005, 02:24 PM   #9
sexyvic1

hello, everyone, i have a 1996 Grand Cherokee 4.0L

i got the code P1762 which said governor pressure sensor off-set.

when i went to jeep for the part they told me there were 2 different ones? i was a bit confused.

i think he may have ment the sensor and the solnoid. do u guys know which one i would need, i think it is the sensor, but i was told that the code is the same for both.

also is this sensor inside the tranny or on the exterior?

the problem i am having with the truck is that it is very slugish in the takeoff and then it is fine after a bit. sometimes, it is fine in the takeoff, but after a little stop and go it becomes sluggish again.

i appriciate all the help in advance, thank you.
sexyvic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #10
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

I had the same issues with my WJ about 6 months ago or so.Same code and I ended up replacing the sensor and the soleniod myself.Not a problem since then.
rrubio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.