P0740 diag code, any advice/ Torque Conv Clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > P0740 diag code, any advice/ Torque Conv Clutch

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
LibertyOrDeath
2005 KJ Liberty 

P0740 diag code, any advice/ Torque Conv Clutch

Great resource for code access and their meaning by the way:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm
4 off/on cycles of your ignition then read the code in the digital ODO display.

Ours says this one:

P0740 (M)
Torque Con Clu No RPM Drop at Lockup
Relationship between engine and vehicle speeds indicated failure of torque convertor clutch lock-up system (TCC/PTU sol).

A solenoid failing or the actual torque converter or - ? Any one had experience with this? thanks in advance.

LibertyOrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
LibertyOrDeath
2005 KJ Liberty 

P0740 Torque Converter Clutch problem defined, link

found answer (sort of) on
http://www.rvmechanic.com/current_ca...l?print_page=1

Re: P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction Joel 5-10-07

If you get the P0740 code it means there is a problem with either the torque converter or the control system for the torque converter in your car. It might be such a slight problem that you dont notice anything, or it may be totally undriveable. It depends on what part of the system failed and how badly it failed. To fix it, it can be anything from a simple fluid and filter change (to get debris out of the fluid that might be clogging the solenoid up), or it could be an electrical problem (such as the solenoid, or wiring) or it could be the torque converter itself has failed (which would mean the entire transmission is likely ruined from the debris). It IS definetly a difficult problem to diagnose, and impossible to diagnose without taking anything apart (or at least test driving it with some diagnostic equipment). Starting with the basic (inexpensive) stuff like a fluid flush and filter change and working your way up from there is usually the best way to go, as long as the car is still driveable. Hope that helps (since everyone else only seems to know how to ask the same question over and over and nobody ever posts answers on here).
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
LibertyOrDeath
2005 KJ Liberty 

So has anyone gone further, more info or results from experience?
Unread 07-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
CallMeColt
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyOrDeath View Post
found answer (sort of) on
http://www.rvmechanic.com/current_ca...l?print_page=1

Re: P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction Joel 5-10-07

If you get the P0740 code it means there is a problem with either the torque converter or the control system for the torque converter in your car. It might be such a slight problem that you dont notice anything, or it may be totally undriveable. It depends on what part of the system failed and how badly it failed. To fix it, it can be anything from a simple fluid and filter change (to get debris out of the fluid that might be clogging the solenoid up), or it could be an electrical problem (such as the solenoid, or wiring) or it could be the torque converter itself has failed (which would mean the entire transmission is likely ruined from the debris). It IS definetly a difficult problem to diagnose, and impossible to diagnose without taking anything apart (or at least test driving it with some diagnostic equipment). Starting with the basic (inexpensive) stuff like a fluid flush and filter change and working your way up from there is usually the best way to go, as long as the car is still driveable. Hope that helps (since everyone else only seems to know how to ask the same question over and over and nobody ever posts answers on here).
I have read a bunch of posts on this, and I like this reply the best. I had the code come up on mine, and I WILL follow up on it for everyone!
CallMeColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
CallMeColt
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, I have driven quite a bit in my Jeep after having it worked on. Some of the other posts said draining, flushing, and replacing the filter in my tranny would do the trick. That seems to be the case for me. My buddy who does all the work for me, showed me the filter and it was very dirty. We reset the computer and erased the codes. It has not come back on, and I have noticed my engine to idle much more even than before. Hope this helps some people! Give this a shot first and see if it helps you out.
CallMeColt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.