P0740 Code - TCC Circuit Malfuntion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > P0740 Code - TCC Circuit Malfuntion

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-15-2006, 11:22 PM   #1
mongerryan

P0740 Code - TCC Circuit Malfuntion

Hi All,

I've had my check engine light on for a while on my 01 grand Cherokee, and I finally was able to get a OBD tool to check it. It gave me a P0740 Code - TCC Circuit Malfuntion code. From a search on this forum:
"P0740 (M)

Torq Con Clu, No RPM Drop at
Lockup

Relationship between engine and vehicle speeds
indicated failure of torque convertor clutch lock-up system
(TCC/PTU solenoid)

I'd ask here about symptoms of a bad Torque Converter."
and
It's one (or more)of, probably, three things:
- Bad torque converter (blew the lockup clutch)
- Bad lockup solenoid
- Bad wiring from the PCM to the lockup solenoid
- Very remote possibility, but possible none the less -> Bad PCM.

You *MUST* fix this before driving on the freeway, or at freeway speeds, as you can burn up your transmssion by driving at freeway speeds without the toque converter locked up.

- Oh, forgot, could be the speed sensor also, but that's a little doubtful.

If it turns out to be a bad torque converter (blown lockup clutch), the transmission will have to be taken apart and checked, as, more than likely, lockup clutch material would have made it into the tranny,

I'ld start with the wiring itself. Check to make sure that it looks ok at the electronic solenoid itself.
So...my question is...what should I do about this? Would a regular mechanic be able to take care of this, or should I take it to the service at a jeep dealership?

Anything else I should look for from this problem? Anybody else had this problem and fixed it?

Thanks ahead of time for your comments!

Ryan

mongerryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2006, 06:05 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I am not aware of any danger if you continue to drive this way. You will however see a drop in gas mileage. I believe your solenoid is fried.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I don't think you havew to take it to a dealer. A good transmission shop should be able to fix it.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Turn your overdrive off
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2006, 12:20 AM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just got this pcode today. It will stall if I don't keep the engine speed up. If I turn off the o/d it seems to idle but not very smooth and eventually die.

Is there anyway to get a little better handle on what is going on other than the shop?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2006, 05:50 AM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Your VSS is bad. The PCM needs to know how fast the vehicle is traveling. Instead the PCM will use one or other sensors to try and determine the vehicle speed. Doing it this way is not accurate enough and the engine is not performing properly. Replace it and your problem should go away.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 02-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
Your VSS is bad. The PCM needs to know how fast the vehicle is traveling. Instead the PCM will use one or other sensors to try and determine the vehicle speed. Doing it this way is not accurate enough and the engine is not performing properly. Replace it and your problem should go away.
Tahnks for you help. Is VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor. If so I found a write up for it being changed on a 95 grand. It seems like it is the component that the speedo gear is attached to, if it is anything like the right up says. I have changed the speedo gear on my TJ and that was a 3 minute job. Do I have it right or am I heading in the wrong direction?

Another thing I have noticed. When I first start it its fine. It is revving at about 900rpm like it should but it doesn't drop in rpms when I shift into gear. After I have driving, and go to stop, the rpms will fall put it will ussally die unless I give it gas. Even if I shift into neutral or park the rpms will still drop and the vehicle will die unless I give it gas.

Thanks again for the help. It is pooring rain and the jeep is outside. I am heading for work. I shouldbe abel to get under it tonite.

Last edited by Ross; 02-28-2006 at 09:24 AM..
Unread 02-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Yes thatís correct. However I do not know where yours is. It will either be on the tranny or the transfer case. First make sure that it is plugged in and that nothing has flown up and damaged the wires.

Unread 02-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes thatís correct. However I do not know where yours is. It will either be on the tranny or the transfer case. First make sure that it is plugged in and that nothing has flown up and damaged the wires.

Thanks for the help, My wife is about seven and a half months pregnant and can't get in and out of my TJ very easy, becasue of the lift, and I hait leaving her with out a vehicle for very long.

Unread 02-28-2006, 09:53 AM   #10
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Grease, the WJ's don't use a VSS. They get speed from another source. I'm not sure what offhand though.
Unread 02-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
Grease, the WJ's don't use a VSS. They get speed from another source. I'm not sure what offhand though.

I called the dealership. They are too different sensors it MIGHT be one measures wheel speed and the other measures transmission out put speed. I assume it is the later of the two. I am not sure were they are located on the vehicle but I am going to go to the dealer and hopefull they have a diagram I can look at.

Unread 02-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #12
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
Ahh sorry if I mislead anyone here??

Unread 02-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ahh sorry if I mislead anyone here??
Its a different part but you lead me in the right direction. Thanks

Unread 03-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Went to the dealership and talked with a very helpful Mech. He said 0740 is the code for the torque converter lockup switch ( I may not have the tech name). You have to drop the pan to get to it, but should be easy to get to. I going to have it done, I am about to put my house on the market and don't need a oil stain on the garage floor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.