P0711 Trans Fluid Temperature Sensor???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > P0711 Trans Fluid Temperature Sensor????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
2007GC Overland
2007 WK 

P0711 Trans Fluid Temperature Sensor????

Hi Folks
96 GC limited 5.2 has a code of P0711 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor, No Temperature Rise after Start - I did search and could only find the above statement.
Does anybody know what that means or what is causing the code? When code start showing up, something is going to break or have problems.
thanks _ I apppreciate any help on this.
Bill

Last edited by 2007GC Overland; 03-01-2009 at 02:52 PM..
2007GC Overland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
tazimafied
2000 WJ 

This sounds like a failing sensor. No temp rise after start simply means the computer is not seeing the temp come up in the trans fluid which is impossible. Ask a local shop and see how involved the replacement is. You might even be able to order the part and replace it yourself in your driveway.
Unread 03-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

The temp sensor is part of the governor pressure sensor. It's easy to replace unless you have an aversion to transmission fluid or no mechanical skills.

You have to drop the pan and take off the governor body to get to the retaining clip.

It should read 1000 ohm at around 70 degrees. On a 97 it's a violet wire, pin 1 on the center PCM plug.

Disconnect battery before checking at PCM.

Is it shifting okay?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
2007GC Overland
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
The temp sensor is part of the governor pressure sensor. It's easy to replace unless you have an aversion to transmission fluid or no mechanical skills.

You have to drop the pan and take off the governor body to get to the retaining clip.

It should read 1000 ohm at around 70 degrees. On a 97 it's a violet wire, pin 1 on the center PCM plug.

Disconnect battery before checking at PCM.

Is it shifting okay?
Hi ZeeJay
yes it is shifting OK - this week had to replace the CAT - it started to break a part and stop up the exhaust. Installed a new CAT, everything appears to work OK, power restored. The code(P0711) just has me concerned about why it was set. I will ohm out the sensor this weekend. I was surprised that the rear O2 sensor was not going off with the bad CAT but it was not set.
thanks
Bill
2007GC Overland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
vanzyln
2004 WJ 

Hello Folks,
I am also battling with a P0711 error on a 2004 Jeep GC 2.7 CRD. I have read the extensive write-ups I believe that it may be a failed sensor or wiring fault. I am now fairly confident that I would be able to test and repair the sensor if required. Before I strip the tranny thought, I want to check the wiring – Please can anyone tell me where I can locate the TCM on the vehicle.

Kind regards
Nic
vanzyln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanzyln View Post
Please can anyone tell me where I can locate the TCM on the vehicle.

Kind regards
Nic
Hi Nic, the TCM is integrated into PCM on >95 Grands. A diagram would make it easier for you. One thing you can do is pull the connector on top of the transmission and check and clean it.

You may get more help if you go over to the WJ forum and start a new post. The post you resurrected an old thread and are now in the ZJ forum.
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
gemsandjewels

P0711 Code

In our jeep the P0711 code was caused by a plugged catalytic converter
gemsandjewels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsandjewels View Post
In our jeep the P0711 code was caused by a plugged catalytic converter
the only way the two could possibly be related is the extra load caused by a plugged convertor caused higher coolant temps. by the time it gets to that point, the engine will barely run. not impossible but highly irregular. what engine do you have?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.