P0455 Solved - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > P0455 Solved

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

P0455 Solved

For anyone that has the CEL code P0455 (Large fuel vapor leak in the evap system) I fixed mine today since my inspection is up at the end of March. I figured I would post my fix to help out someone else. I've had this problem for several months.

I started with the gas cap since that was the general consensus on here. No dice. Then I replaced the charcoal canister and purge solenoid, still leaking. Then I traced every hose that I could see from the large canister under the bumper cover all the way back to the gas tank. Still could not find a cracked/dry rotted hose

So today I finally broke down and got a smoke test. Turned out to be the steel evap line right above the driver side wheel well. It's down in the crevasse under the hood hinge, where it started to rust through and mud/debris had got in there and the line had snapped right in half. Put six inches of rubber hose on with a couple hose clamps and problem solved. The computer found no faults and inspection was a success.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future

JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

Ill have to check that next time I'm in the shop. Because I got that same leak any noticeable difference in power economy or anything after that?
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #655[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Howieb92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Just fixed it yesterday and filled up the tank, I'll let you know if I get a difference in mileage. One thing that went away was the charcoal canister doesn't tick so loud anymore.
Unread 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

Did you have to remove the fender liner to see the line?
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #655[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Howieb92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Nope, it's right behind the brake booster. Down in there above the wheel well.
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
theblackjack69
1998 ZJ 

Mine happened after I dropped the tank, totally my fault because the O ring was folded under the fuel pump. But for anybody who dropped their tank and got this, re drop and do it all again and you will most likely fix your problem.
theblackjack69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
freedom0226
1997 ZJ 

Results ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Just fixed it yesterday and filled up the tank, I'll let you know if I get a difference in mileage. One thing that went away was the charcoal canister doesn't tick so loud anymore.
so what was the conclusion on mpg after the fix. i am just reading this and i will try to find that line in the am. i am having the same issue.
freedom0226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

There's also a rubber splice under the washer fluid reservoir will rot and cause a leak. Changed mine out when I replaced the manifold.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • P0455 - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (13 replies)
  • p0455 - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (8 replies)
  • P0455 - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (3 replies)
  • P0455 - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (4 replies)
  • p0455 - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (1 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.