P0340 on 1997 Laredo 5.2L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > P0340 on 1997 Laredo 5.2L

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 02-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
eecer
1997 ZJ 

P0340 on 1997 Laredo 5.2L

So ive been getting the error code P0340 which I thought just meant replace the crankshaft sensor, did that and the error came back. Looked into the code reading more and I found this:

P0340 - Generic
Type:
-Powertrain - Ignition System or Misfire - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description:
-Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit

P0340 - Chrysler
Type:
-Powertrain - Ignition System or Misfire - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description:
-No Camshaft Synch Signal To PCM Conditions
Cause:
-Engine cranking with 32 CKP sensor pulses received, then the test started and the PCM did not detect any CMP sensor pulses for 2 seconds.

I then looked around and have found three different answers to the camshaft sensor problem, 1. there is no camshaft sensor, 2. the camshaft sensor is in the distributor, 3. the camshaft sensor is built into the ignition plate in the distributor.

Has anyone had this problem before and knows how to fix it? Ive been searching all over and have yet to find anything that says exactly where the sensor is or if theres something else I need to check for this problem. Any help would be great.

eecer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

The cam sensor is under the distributor cap,its the plate looking thing with wires coming out of it
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Here is a pic of it. To replace it you take the cap and rotor off then unplug the sensor and replace. It's really easy. Buy a Mopar sensor don't go cheap.
picture-17.png  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
eecer
1997 ZJ 

Oh so the ignition Plate is the cam sensor too. Lol thats very odd. Thanks for the help!
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #5
eecer
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Here is a pic of it. To replace it you take the cap and rotor off then unplug the sensor and replace. It's really easy. Buy a Mopar sensor don't go cheap.
The diagram really helps but I cant find a way to remove the rotar. Do I have to remove the distributor to take it out?
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Mlarv
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecer View Post
The diagram really helps but I cant find a way to remove the rotar. Do I have to remove the distributor to take it out?
If your rotor is stuck on the best way I have found to remove it is with a pair of channel locks. I put the open jaw on the plate and use them to wedge the rotor button up you might have to go on either side if it to start it but this normally works for me. When you replace the rotor put a little lube or anti seize on the inside of it.

Good Luck
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I jst yanked mine straight up and it came flying off. I hit my hand pretty good on the firewall.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecer View Post
Do I have to remove the distributor to take it out?
Nope. Only 93 to early 94 4.0L need to remove the distributor and shaft to access the camshaft sensor.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.