P0137 Killing Mileage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > P0137 Killing Mileage?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
TowMaster
1996 ZJ 

P0137 Killing Mileage?

I have a 96 with the 4.0 with about 209k miles on it. The computer was kicking up error codes for the speed sensor, 02 sensor, and something else, for a while. But now it only shows p0137. The previous owner cut the catalytic convertor out and hand wired in an O2. the wires fell on the exhaust pipe and shorted out...killing the jeep entirely for a week until I figured it out. Anyway, I wired in an O2 sensor (off an F-350 because my neighbor owns a parts yard and was working on one and it was right there and free) and the Jeep got a lot better mileage...21 22 hwy with a light foot. Then i put on 31x10.5 Treadwright guard dogs and saw 16~7hwy. Right now though, I'm seeing 13-14 and have no power. Some days she runs like a raped ape but most she's hard to bring to speed, and I have to stomp the hell out of the gas to hold 65 in a headwind. This is getting ridiculous...anyone have any ideas? Whole ignition system except distributor itself is new...vacuum gauge shows good at intake (hot at idle). Oh, when accelerating or stomping it to hold speed on the highway, my air in the cab switches from whatever vent its set to and goes straight to defrost. I've read thats a fail safe for a lack of vacuum to hold the blend door in position or something to that effect...but vacuum shows good and steady at the intake port. My intake is a WJ intake, the swap was done by the previous owner...I've replaced the intake gasket because they didn't tighten the bolts correctly. hope someone can help...if I can't get power back out of this thing it'll have to go down the road. I hate pushing her so hard just to hold a whimpy 65. Also theres a whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh sound from the exhaust at higher speeds under throttle. Doesn't sound like a miss but its a pronounced noise...restricted muffler?...the thing is only a few months old. thanks to anyone who reads all this, hahaha.

NightCrew #125

Quote:
Why don't they have braille at drive-thru's?
TowMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
kachink
1998 ZJ 

I would look for vacuum leak(s), investigate possible exhaust restriction, then check out the O2 sensor again. The symptoms sound kind of like a clogged cat, but since you don't have a cat the muffler could be a possibility. Sorry that's not much help since you seem to be headed that direction anyway.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

You have a vac leak, probably a cracked exh manifold, and an o2 sensor that the computer isn't designed to read (all sensors are not created equal).

Compression test lately?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
TowMaster
1996 ZJ 

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I have to get on at work when I can. Vacuum test at the intake manifold and compression tests were among the first things I checked and everything checked out there. Thats what I've been thinking all this time is a vacuum leak because of the air vent issue but i'll be darned if I could find it. I never even thought of the exhaust manifold. Any way to make sure it's the manifold besides throwing another one at it? And yeah you're right I should spend the money on the correct sensor its just weird because I've ran this sensor so long and its ran well until recently. Thanks for the replies guys.
NightCrew #125

Quote:
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
9859limited
1998 ZJ 

Bank 1 sensor 2 o2 sensor low voltage hence bad gas mileage
9859limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
TowMaster
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for looking up the code for me but I already had that much, my own fault for not saying that, sorry for wasting your time looking it up. What I'm trying to figure out is why its seeing low voltage/air flow...guessing its related to all the posted issues.
NightCrew #125

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.