P/S Fluid Questions - MS5931? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > P/S Fluid Questions - MS5931?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

P/S Fluid Questions - MS5931?

Read this on WJJeeps:

Quote:
Mopar®P/N 04883077 Hydraulic fluid / Power steering fluid (MS5931)

MS5931 IS THE ONLY FLUID THAT CAN BE USED FOR THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Important note:
The factory fill power steering fluid for all 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees is a unique fluid, MS5931. ATF+4 (MS9602) should not be mixed or used as a “topping off” fluid on the Grand Cherokee WJ. All WJ models should be serviced using ONLY the special MS5931 fluid. ATF+4 is NOT an approved Power Steering Fluid and should never be used under any circumstances. Note that all fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.
I didn't know this when I first got my Jeep and I'm pretty sure I topped it off with ATF+4. Am I screwed? I haven't had any issues at all and it's been about a year and a half. Do you all adhere to this pretty well? Any experience deviating from this? Where is the best place to buy MS5931?

Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

what i think im finding out is the P/N 04883077 in my manual DUH! and from online info its (ms5931).... MS5931 is amber/yellow. the valvoline power steering fluid has the chrysler spec is 5931 - its also a clear amber/yellow color so is that the same as ms5931??? looks like it should be
02grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JGC00 View Post
Read this on WJJeeps: I didn't know this when I first got my Jeep and I'm pretty sure I topped it off with ATF+4. Am I screwed? I haven't had any issues at all and it's been about a year and a half. Do you all adhere to this pretty well? Any experience deviating from this? Where is the best place to buy MS5931?
Don't think you're screwed in just topping off the PS fluid with ATF+4 but heard it's hard on seals if your PS unit doesn't call for it. Believe I'd just change it out by disconnecting the return line w/it flowing into a container while adding new fluid to the reservoir.

So are you asking if ZJ owner's adhere to the MS5931 specs and use only Mopar PS fluid? I use any kind of PS fluid designated for Chrysler vehicles, most all of it meets the MS5931 specs, and haven't had any problems. This goes for my 96 ZJ, wife's 2000 TJ, son's 96 XJ and my spare 93 XJ.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.