Oxygen Sensors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oxygen Sensors

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-07-2003, 10:38 AM   #1
automan25

Oxygen Sensors

How often should the oxygen sensors be replaced on my Jeep? I heard that the standard is every 100,000 miles.

What sort of performance results have any of you incurred when changing out your oxygen sensors?

And Lastly...how many sensors are there? Two? One in front and one behind the catalitic converter?

Unread 03-07-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
Black96ZJ

O2 sensor

I replaced mine at 90,000 because the service code for it came up on the check engine light. Since replacing these, I have seen an increase in gas-mileage and thats about all. I believe that there is only one on urs, i could be wrong but get a haynes manual for it and it will tell you. Hope this helps

Last edited by Black96ZJ; 03-07-2003 at 10:48 AM..
Black96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2003, 01:40 PM   #3
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

There is one just at the exhaust manifold under the hood, and another just after the catalytic converter. One to test before and one after the cat. That way the PCM can detect failed Cat's. I replaced my cat this weekend, but I may change the sensor, because the gas mileage didn't go up enough. I'm hoping to hit 19 to 20 mpg again. I'm currently at 15-17 mpg.
97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2003, 07:24 PM   #4
ZR7 Ken

Automan,

Your '93 has only one O2 sensor, on the front pipe (near the trans pan). It's definitely not a bad idea to change it, since they do wear from the hot/cold cycles and get carboned up. Just a warning, though. Yours isn't fun to replace. The connector is clipped to a harness that runs along the trans dipstick tube. Getting your arm up to it is a real pain in the a$$. You absolutely dont want to try it when it's been running.
ZR7 Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2003, 11:36 PM   #5
automan25

Are there any special tools required for the job? Any secrets I should know?
Unread 03-11-2003, 08:35 AM   #6
Black96ZJ

There should be no extra tools needed, other than a 7/8 inch wrench and/or 7/8 inch socket, driver, and extensions.
Black96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2003, 09:29 PM   #7
automan25

Thanks, I may do it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
Unread 03-15-2003, 06:00 PM   #8
automan25

boy, you were right. The O2 sensor itself is very easy to replace, it's connecting it up to the wiring harness that's the tough part. I crawled underneath my Jeep to do this job and found that there was no way I could reach up above the transmission to access the plug. It does look like it's accessible from above if I were to remove the center console, and the shifter bezel. Do you know how to do this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.