JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Oxygen sensor threads stripped (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/oxygen-sensor-threads-stripped-1570281/)

oilwellhunter 09-02-2013 09:37 AM

Oxygen sensor threads stripped

Yesterday I went to change the oxygen sensor in my wife's Jeep (located at the back of catalytic converter) and half the threads came out with it. I wonder if there are enough threads to hold the new one now? I don't want to replace the cat at this time. I would like to just weld an 18mm nut in place and thread the O2 sensor into it, but my welding equipment is at my folks in Ohio. The exhaust will probably need replaced next year, but I am hoping to not have to do it now. Any have any suggestions?

Higgins 09-02-2013 12:31 PM

You can get a replacement Bung at the local auto store for a few bucks. Weld it in place and your good to go!

yamifj1200 09-02-2013 01:45 PM

I just ran into the same problem when replacing the O2 sensors on my 97 JGC. I was able to retap the damaged bung using a 12mm X1.5 tap. Take your time and some oil and you should be able to retap the bung and install your new O2 sensor. Hope this helps..

Eric M

oilwellhunter 09-02-2013 02:57 PM

I wonder if it hurts if it goes in a little deeper than originally?

AaronButler 09-02-2013 03:10 PM

if you do decide to weld it, just be sure to do a good job of it. you dont want any unaccounted air leaking in, or it kinda defeats the purpose of the 02 sensor

oilwellhunter 09-02-2013 04:30 PM

Ok, I just got done. Could not go any deeper as there is a reduced diameter on the inside. Even the oxygen sensor tap would not go through it. But I put a thick 11/16" flat washer onto the sensor (to take up the difference in the piece that came out with the old one) and threaded it into the hole. I torqued it up to about what it calls for (26 ft-lbs) and it seems to be ok.

I'll give it a try and keep my eye on it, and see if it corrects the P0138 code problem and makes the engine run better.

In the meantime, I will probably order a new cat and exhaust system from Summit so I have it to install before winter.

Thanks guys.
Blake

oilwellhunter 09-02-2013 04:33 PM

I don't think a slight air leak would effect the operation of the O2 sensor as there should always be positive pressure at that point. And since it's at the outlet end of the cat, it would be more or less like you were running without any muffler, or with a rotted out pipe at the muffler inlet.

oilwellhunter 09-08-2013 12:32 AM

Conclusion: After the installation of the new excess oxygen sensor, the Grand Cherokee ran and idled much better and smoother with WAY more power! It drives like a ZJ with a V-8 should, and not like a half-dead 6 cylinder like it has been for a while.

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions. The sensor is staying threaded into the cat, so hopefully it remains that way.

Blake

The time now is 11:42 PM.