Overheating woes.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overheating woes..

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Overheating woes..

Hey JF
Been searching a little and thought I'd ask for some insight from the forum members
98 5.2 v8 bone stock except the lift.

Temp gauge usually sits @ 210 all day, but the past couple weeks have been hell.
Almost reached the red area on the gauge and when I parked it, The upper radiator hose blew off the radiator from the heat/pressure. I replaced the thermostat and gasket assuming it may have been the culprit. Nothing changed. I took the thermostat out and drilled a small bleeder hole as I read on another thread. nothing changed.upper hose blew off again. The water pump seems to be fine and is not making any noise or leaking. Just wondering if you guys thought it's be wise to replace the radiator?
I haven't torn into it to check and see if it is possibly the original unit.
Anything else I should check? I know I will have to snag some t-bolt hose clamps to ditch the oem clamps. coolant level is fine and fluid is new since the last incident.

Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
thanks in advance!

OldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Did you try flushing it? Sounds like there is a clog somewhere in the system.
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
Did you try flushing it? Sounds like there is a clog somewhere in the system.
I did not flush it.
to be honest, figured everything blew out when the upper hose gave
good suggestion
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
yamifj1200
1997 ZJ 

It would be a very good idea to look at the fluid inside the radiator. Is it clean, no oil or other trash. There is a chance that the water pump impeller could be damaged not pumping the coolant through the cooling system. Have you looked at the actual fins on the radiator. They could be partially blocked, by bugs and debris. Or the worst thing could be you have a leaking head gasket that's building up pressure inside the cooling system blowing the upper radiator hose off.. Hope its an easy fix for you...

Eric M
yamifj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamifj1200 View Post
It would be a very good idea to look at the fluid inside the radiator. Is it clean, no oil or other trash. There is a chance that the water pump impeller could be damaged not pumping the coolant through the cooling system. Have you looked at the actual fins on the radiator. They could be partially blocked, by bugs and debris. Or the worst thing could be you have a leaking head gasket that's building up pressure inside the cooling system blowing the upper radiator hose off.. Hope its an easy fix for you...

Eric M
hope not

I will be tearing the jeep down this weekend. Really hoping it's just an old clogged up radiator.

Was just really concerned because I don't have any of the symptoms of a bad water pump. noise/leaking.
thanks for the tips, please let me know if anyone has anything else I should check
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Bad fan clutch cause overheating?
Spun the fan by hand while cold, zero resistance and never got tighter. Spun it after letting the engine warm up to around 200 degrees and shut of the engine. Spins SLIGHTLY more resistant but still spins freely until your arm gets tired.
Isnt therr supposed to be resistance? Can a shot fan clutch cause overheating while stopped and driving ?
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTan View Post
Bad fan clutch cause overheating?
Spun the fan by hand while cold, zero resistance and never got tighter. Spun it after letting the engine warm up to around 200 degrees and shut of the engine. Spins SLIGHTLY more resistant but still spins freely until your arm gets tired.
Isnt therr supposed to be resistance? Can a shot fan clutch cause overheating while stopped and driving ?
That would probably be it. There should be no to slight resistance cold, heavy resistance when hot
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
That would probably be it. There should be no to slight resistance cold, heavy resistance when hot
Drats, looks like i will be replacing a fan clutch haha
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTan View Post

Drats, looks like i will be replacing a fan clutch haha
Problem is these days the only replacements are "heavy duty" type fan clutches that will roar louder than the standard fan...iirc there is somewhere online that says how you can alter the spring mechanism to make it not roar as loud...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.