Overheating issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overheating issue

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
NickkciN
1995 ZJ 

Overheating issue

Last Saturday I was driving and I noticed my temperature gauge was starting to rise. When it got just before the red zone i pulled over and turned the jeep off. Naturally, I popped the hood to see what was wrong. Checked coolant, plenty in there. No smoke from the engine, in fact, it didnt seem all that hot to me, I had only been driving for about 15 minutes when it started to overheat. I let the engine cool down and I started it back up again and drove a bit further...and again..the engine started to overheat, so i pulled over again. The third try, after letting it sit for a while, I tried to make it home..only about a 3 minute drive, and I noticed the temp going up again, except this time right before it hit the red zone it went back down, all the way down to under normal running temp. Then, it would go back up. So far i have replaced the thermostat and the coolant temp sensor..and im still overheating. Has anyone had this problem?? I have no idea whats going on! It's like the radiator is somehow clogged.

1995 ZJ Limited
IRO 5.5" Critical Path Long Arms
Armored and Aussie locked
NickkciN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
JForest2
2004 WJ 

You said that you changed the thermostat? Maybe there is a clog in the rad somewhere... If you changed the thermo and checked the flow in the rad your water pump might of went out..

James
JForest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 01:32 AM   #3
NickkciN
1995 ZJ 

How can i clear a clog in the radiator?

1995 ZJ Limited
IRO 5.5" Critical Path Long Arms
Armored and Aussie locked
NickkciN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
ben98zj
1998 ZJ 

I had this problem on my jeep. first it was overheating, then it was underheating. So I did the same as you took out the stat and replaced it three times. didn't work so I took the radiator out and cleaned all the mud and cheaked the flow, seemed fine. put it all back together, nothing. So I replaced the water pump even though the old one seemed fine. Don't know what caused it to first overheat but what I found was the proplem was that I didn't bleed out the system properly. I had an air bubble. I took the cap off the radiator, filled it up, turned it on and let it get hot, then filled it till it poured over and put the cap back on. hope my stupid mistake helps.
ben98zj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.